Issues with FCP 7 Timeline and Exporting

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erin McConnell
Issues with FCP 7 Timeline and Exporting
on Dec 14, 2013 at 11:38:00 pm

Hi all,

I'm hoping you can help me.

I recently received some .mov files (h.264) on a tight deadline and have been trying to put them together in FCP.

I know FCP doesn't like h.264 too much, but they did import. FCP 6.0.6, which I have on my old computer, became too buggy with these files, and I had to give it up.

The problem is, I also tried editing them in FCP 7 and the most recent version of Premiere, and I had the same issues there.

The audio drifts, transitions make the footage stutter (as does text), and when I try to export the timeline I get misplaced video and grey ghost faces.

These files play just fine in Quicktime, so I don't think they're corrupted.

I did change my timeline settings to match the clips in FCP 7, which saved rendering time. However, I'm at my wits end on making this footage editable or exportable.

I did try deleting all my old render files and re-rendering. I do have all the colors checked in the render drop down menu. I've also tried going in and deleting my old FCP preferences. Nothing seems to work or fix these bugs.

I'm probably missing something important here, but I've already put so much work into this, and starting over at this juncture isn't really an option. Can anyone help me?

Thank you in advance!
EDM

Return to posts index

Erin McConnell
Re: Issues with FCP 7 Timeline and Exporting
on Dec 14, 2013 at 11:42:10 pm

I also see that some of the clips have different frame rates, i.e., 29.97, or 30, or 28. Would this be part of the error? And how would one fix it?

Thanks,
E

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Dec 15, 2013 at 6:56:28 am

Yes, the frame rates are important. If you edit in 7, I strongly suggest you to convert all files to either ProRes or ProRes LT and use the in the Compressor the right settings to convert also the frame rates.
To edit in 7 in H.264 is a p in the a and should be avoided at any costs.
Convert first and your workflow will flow like O.D.B. on a good beat!

Good Luck!

Greetings,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions
http://www.youtube.com/taikang

Return to posts index

Erin McConnell
on Dec 15, 2013 at 7:40:36 pm

Thank you so much! I am converting everything over now.

With appreciation,
E

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Dec 15, 2013 at 9:18:45 pm

You are welcome.
Good luck!

Greetings,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions
http://www.youtube.com/taikang