FORUMS: list search recent posts

anyone on a hackintosh

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Angeline Hayler
anyone on a hackintosh
on Dec 14, 2013 at 9:34:10 am

Hello everyone,

just wondering if anyone is successfully editing on a hackintosh. Working on an old Mac 1.1 and looking to get a new machine, but the price of the new Mac Pros are really steep for me - especially out in South Africa. Working mostly on Final Cut X, bit of PP and some After Effects. Would really like to hear any success stories!

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: anyone on a hackintosh
on Dec 14, 2013 at 5:59:45 pm

Looks like you are in the ballpark for a Mac Mini.

Your other alternative is Adobe Creative Cloud. It runs identical on Mac and PC.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Dec 14, 2013 at 10:14:24 pm

Hi Angeline,

I can only speak about myself: I just got one 4 months ago.
And so far it's great: Blazzin Fast. I run on it FCP 7 , FCPX, DaVinci, PPro, AE and AVID.
All working rock solid,
Amazing real time also in DaVinci and FCPX.
And my Black Magic Mini MOnitor with the Thunderbolt connection also works flawless.
It;s just important, that somebody builds it for you, custom made to your needs,
and also gives support in the beginning and service later if needed.
So, if there is a problem - which only appears at times in serious system update - you have somebody taking care.

If you have the right person building it for you, go for it.

Greetings,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions
http://www.youtube.com/taikang

Return to posts index

Angeline Hayler
on Dec 15, 2013 at 5:36:21 am

Hey Sascha,

thanks so much for the response. My husband is keen to put one together for me. He's a programmer and a pretty hectic PC nerd and he's been building PCs from when he was a kid. He's only worked on Mac though and never put one together. Obviously he'll be around to help with any teething issues but I'm just worried that there's too much "Mac specific" hardware configs that he doesn't know enough about that will affect the performance/running of things like FCP. To your knowledge is this the case?

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Dec 15, 2013 at 6:48:54 am

It's rather simple: If the HacMac is build right and set up and configured the right way, it means it IS a Mac.
My HacMac is doing everything just as a Mac - running FCP 7&X, AE, DaVinci, AVID, all no problem at all.
The only things it differs from the real one: You cannot use it in T-Mode (Target Mode), but since it's not a laptop, who cares?
And Parallels won't work on it - never used it anyways.

So, no, all fine.
Again: It has to be build and configured properly. The configuration can be rough ride though sometimes. But once it's running, it's running.

Greetings,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions
http://www.youtube.com/taikang

Return to posts index

Tom Hudgins
on Dec 17, 2013 at 4:36:19 pm

I built one and am using it with no problems with FCPx. I would say that the only downside is when OS X has upgrades - it can sometimes involve re-running the configuration programs to get all the drivers working but it's not really a big deal - especially with the money you save.

I highly recommend tonymac86.com for guides and help. They basically have a foolproof blueprint for a hack that is pretty much guaranteed to work if you pick the same components.

Tom

Return to posts index

Angeline Hayler
on Dec 21, 2013 at 7:20:40 am

Hey Tom,

thanks for that! I think I will take the leap... I made the mistake of reading a few posts from back in 2007/2008 when it was only just possible and people seemed very unconvinced. It seems a lot more doable now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]