FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVCPRO 59.94 export settings?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aryn Leigh
DVCPRO 59.94 export settings?
on Dec 12, 2013 at 8:00:47 am

It's the eleventh hour here and I'm exporting a bunch of our films to be professionally authored by our DVD vendor back east.

Now- We're editing in a DVCPRO 59.94 720p timeline, in FCP 7, and I was told by our DVD guy that "Either DVCPro or ProRes is fine" to export for him.

When I export an uncompressed QT file, then compress in compressor to DVCPro, (I'm essentially just stripping the file of it's FCP container, right?) the final clip looks extremely degraded.

But when I export straight out of FCP using "quicktime conversion", things look pretty crisp. Is this the correct way to export and retain maximum quality? And why is this?

I also have ProRes 29.97i 1920x1080 footage that I've exported as Self-contained, then compressed in compressor, and the results look surprisingly clean, with no generation loss.

Why does the DVCPro file look so lossy when taken into Compressor, but ProRes does not?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: DVCPRO 59.94 export settings?
on Dec 12, 2013 at 4:50:59 pm

I'll guess that you actually mean DVCProHD, which is WAY different from plain old standard-definition DVCPro.

DVCPro and DVCProHD are codecs with set resolutions, i.e. you can't make 1280x720 in DVCPro: it will make a 16x9 SD file at 720x480. Ugh.

Stick with exporting in ProRes, and you can't go wrong.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Aryn Leigh
on Dec 12, 2013 at 5:48:34 pm

Yes! DVCPRO HD.

Actually, the best looking footage ended up being the DVCPRO codec, when exported at "Quicktime conversion" settings. I initially exported at as a self-contained and then compressed to ProRes, and it actually looked terribly blocky.

I guess using compressor is not the way to go when retaining quality then, correct?

Thanks,

AL

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 12, 2013 at 7:36:58 pm

Well, let's confirm that everything is kosher first.
Your footage was brought into FCP via Log & Transfer, in the DVCPro HD codec and NOT DVCPro, correct?
In FCP, you cut your footage in a timeline that used the DVCPro HD codec and NOT DVCPro, correct?

We gotta clear that up. DVCPro HD is for HD footage. DVCPro is for SD footage. They're not the same.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Aryn Leigh
on Dec 12, 2013 at 7:45:53 pm

Actually, no, this is old tape footage that was brought in several years ago from an Aja Kona card as DVCPRO HD 59.94 720p.

Sorry- there was no DVCPRO footage captured or compressed. It was all DVCPRO HD, and I was exporting at these settings:

1. Self-contained, then compressed in compressor to ProRes (looked degraded)
2. Quicktime conversion at original settings (720p 59.94 DVCPRO) (looked really clean).

I was just wondering why the latter worked so well and compressing to pro res did not...

Thanks!

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Dec 12, 2013 at 10:48:14 pm

Why not simply use your self-contained DVCPro HD master. You gain nothing but size by going to ProRes. And you said your DVD guy was good with the DVCPro (HD). Send one to him and have him confirm it's good to go.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.9, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Aryn Leigh
on Dec 13, 2013 at 12:11:16 am

Thanks~

I am creating a "quicktime conversion" file because he doesn't have FCP on his system- but the DVCPRO HD file looks great, so I'll go with that.

I'd love to know though why there is so much generation loss when I export a self-contained, then compress in compressor; (Even keeping the same DVCPROHD codec. My intention was just to strip the file of it's FCP container, so that our DVD folks could read it without having to read an FCP file.)

Thanks again!

AL

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 13, 2013 at 12:25:32 am

I don't know if that's a big deal. I've successfully used clips created by using both log & capture and log & transfer in FCP on a Windows box: they're still quicktime movies.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]