FORUMS: list search recent posts

monitors: Dell U2410 vs Dell U2413 vs NEC P241W

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Mueller
monitors: Dell U2410 vs Dell U2413 vs NEC P241W
on Dec 11, 2013 at 6:30:14 am

I am looking for a second monitor. I mostly use FCP7, but also use Color for projects that can't afford a Post House (most of 'em) and After Effects - for projects that can't afford a Post House - (yes I know I need a Broadcast Color Monitor but I can't have one). My current monitor is a Dell U2311H, I have DVI outputs on the old MacPro 1,1. The Dell is inherently too bright, but I also plan on buying a Colorimeter, maybe one with ambient light sensing (Thinking ColorMunki).

U2413 (AH-IPS) and NEC P241W (e-IPS and not to be confused with more expensive PA241W) both support hardware calibration but only with specific software and colorimeter that I can't currently afford. U2413s would be new (at about $450-$500), NEC could be new ($550-$600( or refurbed around $400. U2410s (H-IPS) are used or refurbed but half the price (spend it on the colorimeter?

Thoughts appreciated.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
Re: monitors: Dell U2410 vs Dell U2413 vs NEC P241W
on Dec 15, 2013 at 6:44:50 am
Last Edited By Sascha Engel on Dec 18, 2013 at 5:29:13 am

Hi,

I can share with you my experience of the U2410 and U2413, since I gained quiet a bit of this in the past 4 months.
I bought 2 Dell U2410, but since there was something wrong with them (mainly not accurately calibrated and refurbished, but sold as new...shame on you Dell!),
they were replace after 3 months. And since dell Israel did not have the U2410 anymore, they delivered the U2413.
So, I have a hands on direct experience with both models, using FCP 7, FCP X, DaVinci and AE:
First of all, the Dell U2410 cannot! be calibrated properly since there is an issue with the green in the custom mode.
So, forget about the calibration of that one.
I liked the design of the 2410 better than the 2413 - more hooky and old school.
In the corners, the U2413 has a bit more light bleeding, but in a dark room, it's really ok. The 2413 also has USB3 ports instead of USB2 and can be calibrated. It also gets less hot than its predecessor.
There was a huge issue of green ghosting artifacts due to insane overdrive settings with the Dell U2413, which made it unbearable for video editing.
Dell always denied the problem, but still fixed it in silence. So, you HAVE TO be very cautious: Only accept the Dell U2413 Revision 02 or higher. Revision 00 and 01 has this problem and makes it absolutely worthless for film editing.
I have the U2413s now for a week and I am quiet happy with them. Very accurate colors.
I do not know about the NEC though, but I hope, I could help a little.

All the Best,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions
http://www.youtube.com/taikang

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]