FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting NTSC Apple OpenDML JPEG 24fps material to use in an HDV 1080p25 timeline?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
huw wahl
Converting NTSC Apple OpenDML JPEG 24fps material to use in an HDV 1080p25 timeline?
on Dec 9, 2013 at 11:41:58 am

Hi all,

I am new to posting here but have used the forum for a long time to help me. It's been great, but now i have a specific question.

I am making a film which has been shot On a canon XHA1 which records in PAL at HDV 1080p25

I have just received some canadian archive footage digitised in Canada, its is NTSC Apple openDML JPEG 24p

What do i convert it to in compressor to use it in my timeline?
I have tried converting to Apple Prores, with frame controls on, progressive, 100% of source, fast deinterlace. Is this right? It still needs rendering in my HDV timeline. but i do not want to lose quality by converting to HDV1080p25...

Or should i be converting to HDV1080p25 for ease of editing?

Any help would be appreciated. I am just worried i'll chose the wrong conversion and lose quality. It's been digitised at such high quality and is currently 60mbits/s!!!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Converting NTSC Apple OpenDML JPEG 24fps material to use in an HDV 1080p25 timeline?
on Dec 9, 2013 at 5:09:12 pm

Any format you convert to that doesn't match your sequence settings will require rendering. But it should be a green render.

ProRes is what I'd use. But I'd also use ProRes sequence settings. Any non-HDV footage in and HDV timeline will conform to that format. Converting non-GOP to GOP.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

huw wahl
Re: Converting NTSC Apple OpenDML JPEG 24fps material to use in an HDV 1080p25 timeline?
on Dec 9, 2013 at 5:17:27 pm

Thanks Shane,

So you would suggest I use a ProRes sequence setting, and convert the footage to ProRes? Do i chose progressive under the 'output fields' option in frame control?

I think my confusion comes from not really understanding the difference between HDV and ProRes. I'll look into that!

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 9, 2013 at 7:55:03 pm

[huw wahl] "So you would suggest I use a ProRes sequence setting, and convert the footage to ProRes?"

I would keep the HDV as HDV, and either use a ProRes sequence, or change the render settings to render as ProRes.

[huw wahl] "I think my confusion comes from not really understanding the difference between HDV and ProRes."

ProRes is 1 frame is 1 frame. An I-Frame format. Individual frames. HDV is a GOP format...group of pictures. 3 real frames per second, with a bunch of pictures that estimate/guess (but very well) as to what the other frames might be. Look it up on Wikipedia.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]