FORUMS: list search recent posts

Not too sure about Log and Transfer

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Vaage
Not too sure about Log and Transfer
on Dec 8, 2013 at 9:06:50 pm

The camera I use is a Canon DSLR and I have always just dumped the footage from my SD into a folder on my desktop, sorted it and labelled it there. I then send it through MPEG Streamclip to pro res. I then take that footage and import it into FCP 7, where it is obviously all labelled and whatnot.
I am pretty well self-taught and never really did the log and transfer/capture route.
Is there a more efficient way for me to go about this? Or is it basically "whatever works for me" sort of thing?
That being said, I probably do not fully understand Log and Transfer.

It seems to work for me but any time that I can save is always appreciated.

Thanks

Adam

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Not too sure about Log and Transfer
on Dec 8, 2013 at 10:09:48 pm

[Adam Vaage] "Is there a more efficient way for me to go about this?"

This is the preferred Log and Transfer workflow:

Mainly because you should NEVER mess with the tapeless camera's file structure...like never. Because you don't know what NLE you'll be on in the future. FCP 7 is dead...no longer made, so you'll be moving on to another NLE. And those other THM files contain information that the MOVs reference. But only if you keep the full card structure.

There are other reasons too, like if your media drive fails, and you need to reimport the footage and relink, if you used Log and Transfer, all you need to do is BATCH CAPTURE and your cut is rebuilt. If you used MPEG STREAMCLIP, then you'll have to manually reimport, and most likely manually RELINK as MPEG STREAMCLIP doesn't add reel numbers, nor proper timecode, that FCP needs to relink properly.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Adam Vaage
Re: Not too sure about Log and Transfer
on Dec 9, 2013 at 8:55:44 am

Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]