FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 - Sync drift advice required for re-syncing an mp4

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Phillips
FCP7 - Sync drift advice required for re-syncing an mp4
on Dec 8, 2013 at 7:15:13 pm

I need to fix a bunch of mp4 video files (original footage unavailable) and could do with some advice. The audio gradually goes out of sync, and I need to find the best way to fix it.

As I don't have the original footage, I have to put the mp4 onto the FCP timeline and manually correct it by altering the speed. If there is a better way to do this then please let me know.

My plan is to start by altering the speed of the complete audio file on the timeline. Then starting from the beginning, review the video and as it begins to go out of sync make a cut. Then attack the remaining audio , which would gradually get smaller as I progress.

Does this sound like the right course of action? If anybody has any suggestions then please let me know.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP7 - Sync drift advice required for re-syncing an mp4
on Dec 8, 2013 at 10:12:11 pm

[Alex Phillips] "As I don't have the original footage, I have to put the mp4 onto the FCP timeline and manually correct it by altering the speed. If there is a better way to do this then please let me know."

FCP doesn't work with MP4 files. ESPECIALLY when it comes to syncing. That's the main issue that happens with FCP and MP4...it loses sync in the timeline, or when you export the final. FCP and MP4...don't mix.

Best thing is to NOT use FCP for this. Use Adobe Premiere Pro. It works with MP4 natively. If you only have FCP...and insist on it, then you need to convert the footage to ProREs, then fix in FCP, then export as MP4 again. Compression upon compression.

Premiere Pro can be had for $50 a month, or less if you have a previous version.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Alex Phillips
Re: FCP7 - Sync drift advice required for re-syncing an mp4
on Dec 8, 2013 at 11:05:13 pm

Many thanks Shane,

That's some sound advice. I shall give it a whirl.

Thanks
Alex

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]