FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP (7.0.4) Message "Out of Memory"---Far From it & Project Takes 23 minutes to Open--CRAZY!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Monskey
FCP (7.0.4) Message "Out of Memory"---Far From it & Project Takes 23 minutes to Open--CRAZY!
on Dec 5, 2013 at 2:35:32 am

FCP is being difficult. I have been getting messages late in edit sessions that say I am out of memory. I am working with a Wiebetech RTX 200 raid system with 2.0 TB internal drives with 1.1 TB available. My Mac:
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per processor): 12 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz

I have trashed my preferences a few times which helped for a few hours. The program and project has been taking 24 minutes to start up too-----this is ridiculous! And very time consuming. The project just crashed now.
What could be going on that is causing this condition?
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
Re: FCP (7.0.4) Message "Out of Memory"---Far From it & Project Takes 23 minutes to Open--CRAZY!
on Dec 5, 2013 at 2:54:41 am

8 GB RAM is a bit on the low side. That and your machine being somewhat 'old'. It would also be helpful for us to know what kind of files you are working with - HD?… SD?… codec? What are your settings in FCP? How much footage are you dealing with and how long is your timeline? Do you have a lot of effects to process?

HTH

Gary

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: FCP (7.0.4) Message "Out of Memory"---Far From it & Project Takes 23 minutes to Open--CRAZY!
on Dec 5, 2013 at 8:38:38 am

"What could be going on that is causing this condition?"

my gues is the project size is too big
how big is the project file?

nick

Return to posts index

Daniel Monskey
on Dec 5, 2013 at 8:56:42 am

The saved file is 26.6 Mb (but the project files are about 850 GB). I have worked with projects this large before and had no problems.
I was thinking it was all the crazy render-needed GOPro and German HD video (formatting could be an issue with this).
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Dec 5, 2013 at 9:03:47 am

yes 28MB is definitely not a problem,

so the GoPro and compressed german footage are the number one culprit.

transcode and replace.

nick

Return to posts index

Daniel Monskey
on Dec 5, 2013 at 8:53:33 am

I am working in HD. I think what you are asking about when you refer to the codec is Apple Pro Rez 422 (HQ). I am working with about 850 GB of video data (various formats: Panasonic P2's and GoPro and some other HD video shot with German equipment and compressed and sent via Dropbox to me).
The timeline is 1:00:00 loaded with clips to be chopped and edited down to 15 minutes.
The GoPro and German camera video all need rendering, but I have few effects other than a tweak here and there of the coloring and a transition here or there (very few of those too).

Thanks for your response----INCREDIBLY thorough and detailed to completely understand how to diagnose. You are very knowledgable!
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

xdominguez pukkas
on Dec 5, 2013 at 11:03:46 am

Hello,

I would recommend you to stop using Final Cut Pro and go to Premiere. You can easily do that using xml, and you will also spare yourself a lot of future headaches.

Just my opinion...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 5, 2013 at 5:18:31 pm

[xdominguez pukkas] "...I would recommend you to stop using Final Cut Pro and go to Premiere."

Would this be CS6 or the Creative Cloud version?

One you buy. For the other, you're on the hook to Adobe month after month after month if you even want to open past project files.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

xdominguez pukkas
on Dec 9, 2013 at 8:07:38 am

The CC version. Anyway, the point is that after having spent a lot of hours in FCP7 and in different projects, I have come to appreciate how unreliable it really is.

I strongly recommend using Premiere CC, Avid or even FCPX instead.

Return to posts index

Daryl K Davis
on Dec 5, 2013 at 5:39:36 pm

Whenever I've run across this message it's sometimes a corrupt video file, but more than likely a still image that's either too big or it's in CMYK format instead of RGB.

-------------------------
DK Davis / Editor/ Post Super
-------------------------

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Dec 5, 2013 at 9:07:03 pm

[Daryl K Davis] "Whenever I've run across this message it's sometimes a corrupt video file, but more than likely a still image that's either too big or it's in CMYK format instead of RGB."

Agreed, I would definitely look at all your stills Daniel and make sure they aren't too large and are formatted properly.

Return to posts index

Daniel Monskey
on Dec 8, 2013 at 12:22:11 pm

I don't know how to tell the format of photos to tell RGB or CMYK.
Definitely not too big. ANd there are thousands of video files ---way too many to test.
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
on Dec 5, 2013 at 5:51:27 pm

FCP 7 is a 32 bit app. It can only address 2GB of memory (using signed pointers). So once it has filled up 2GB, it's out of memory.

Steve Modica
CTO, Small Tree Communications

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 5, 2013 at 7:46:40 pm

Actually, that's 4 gigs. 2^32 = 4,294,967,296.

So FCP isn't as constrained in its use of memory as you suspected, and that's a good thing.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
on Dec 5, 2013 at 8:49:53 pm

In the olden days, some apps and OS's used signed pointers and some didn't. If you have a signed pointer, you only get 2^31 bits (2GB). I thought FCP 7 was using signed pointers (like SGI used to). Clearly they aren't (like Solaris).

I think that's what OP is hitting tho. The 4GB limit.

Steve Modica
CTO, Small Tree Communications

Return to posts index

Tom Valens
on Dec 6, 2013 at 1:57:14 am

As I understand it, although FCP 7 is allocated 4 GB, about 1.5 of that is reserved for FCP background setup and maintenance, so only about 2.5 GB is actually available for any particular project. What I do is keep the Activity Monitor open with the System Memory tab selected, and watch the FCP Real Mem numbers. As long as that's under about 2.2 I don't seem to have any problems (and I'm working with a LARGE project file size - about 240 MB). However, once it gets closer to 2.5 GB I start having problems. I regularly close any timelines I'm not actively working on, and sometimes restart the program to shed any possible memory holders. But even with a 240 MB program, it only takes a few minutes to load (HD ftg, tho a documentary with very few complicated effects).

If it is a real program memory problem, then it may be that you need to go over to a 64 bit program like Premiere or FCP X. But my guess is that it's related to corrupt files or things like oversized stills, as has been mentioned.

Tom Valens
Tamalpais Productions

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Dec 6, 2013 at 2:02:54 pm

hi Daniel,

your problem lies in either/both large stills with CMYK color space, or/and (this is my guess) H264 files. The P2 and the ProRes are no problem.
First: Bring all media to one format (ProRes) and speed fps, then start editing,

cheers

rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Daniel Monskey
on Dec 8, 2013 at 12:25:46 pm

I don't understand this memory issue. I have multi terabyte drives, worked on large projects before (except for the excessive GoPro and other alternate video clips from other formats that all need rendering). I do suspect that is the issue, but I do not understand running out of memory when I still have lots of space left on the drives. How can I clear the memory and continue working?
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 8, 2013 at 5:44:40 pm

[Daniel Monskey] " I have multi terabyte drives, worked on large projects before (except for the excessive GoPro and other alternate video clips from other formats that all need rendering)."

Ah. There's one of your problems. If they are still in their native acquisition codecs, you should use a third-party application like MPEG Streamclip (free) to transcode them to FCP's favorite video codec: ProRes 422. ProRes HQ is unnecessary almost all the time; it's primary virtue is that files created in this codec are much larger than ProRes 422 files... and that isn't much of a virtue.

[Daniel Monskey] " I do not understand running out of memory when I still have lots of space left on the drives. "

I think you're confusing "memory" and "storage". Disk drives are used for storage. RAM is the memory... and in FCP, an off-the-wall codec can clog up memory.

If you have Photoshop and/or Illustrator, they can give you an authoritative answer if the stills are CMYK or RGB, and they can convert them to the proper kind... and for FCP, they need to be RGB.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Daniel Monskey
on Dec 8, 2013 at 11:01:47 pm

This makes total sense. I've never had this problem and I've never had this much alternate format video in a project. WOW! THANK YOU BIGTIME!!!!!! I'll get MPEG Streamclip and see what happens.
Thank you so much----and MUCHAS GRACIAS everyone else for your analysis!!!!!
What a great resource community!!! Well doctors, I'm confident we may have found the cure for this patient!
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

Daniel Monskey
on Dec 8, 2013 at 11:49:14 pm

I just got a message from the MPEG Streamclip program that says "FLIP4MAC WMV Demo Alert!
A water mark will be permanently placed over the video and audio. To avoid the watermark, purchase Player Pro now and restart your application.
Is this not a free program as mentioned?
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

Daniel Monskey
on Dec 8, 2013 at 11:54:35 pm

I hit the purchase button that was in the MPEG Streamclip message and it automatically started processing---either it is a "free" purchase or it knows my credit card number (which is very scary). I don't know how much I am paying for this.
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Dec 9, 2013 at 2:40:02 am

"I just got a message from the MPEG Streamclip program that says "FLIP4MAC WMV Demo Alert!
A water mark will be permanently placed over the video and audio. To avoid the watermark, purchase Player Pro now and restart your application.
Is this not a free program as mentioned?"

Mpeg Streamclip is free
Flip for Mac is not

so you have a lot of wmv files in there?
that would be causing issues, i'd imagine.

have you tried removing all the non-standard media from the project?
(or a copy of the project, to be safe)

i'm pretty sure you can open your project in a way that does not open any timelines that were open when you last closed it.
sorry, i cant remember exactly how that gets done

nick

Return to posts index

Daniel Monskey
on Dec 11, 2013 at 2:16:15 am

I have been working with MPEG Streamclip to convert the GoPro and other HD files now. The GoPro files work fine. However, the other ones from Germany always come through with a video/audio watermark. Here is an example of the file name:
Gopro_Christian_1920x1440_30fps_part_1
It is 4.7 GB (in wmv format) and runs 30:53 in length. There is another one that runs 43:39 in length.
I wonder if they are just too long for the free version, as the shorter ones of mine are all free of the watermark.
I cannot output the video with the clips associated to the project as is (I need to convert them with MPEG Streamcip first)-----the disk full problem still exists. I cannot output in Quicktime nor Compressor----they always fail.
Any ideas?
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

xdominguez pukkas
on Dec 11, 2013 at 8:34:44 am

Hi,

I think I come a little bit late, but I wanted to give my two cents. I have had similar problems converting wmv and avi files on mac. I don't think it is a matter of duration, but a matter of them being formats more common on PC.

I don't know if you have tried it yet, but I could recommend you downloading FCPX's free trial, import the wmv files and export on the format you want. FCPX's export video settings are more limited than those of FCP7, but I am sure you will find a video codec that suits you well.

For the photo problems, if they are bigger than, let's say, 2000x2000, try reducing them to that size. FCP7 doesn't handle well resolutions bigger than 2K. Others have said it, but also try using only one video codec in the same timeline. Even if you have lots of videos on your hard drive, they will most likely be grouped in different bins, so if you have any h264 you will find them easily.

And watch out for the renders once they are done, because as weird as it might sound, they sometimes put frames where they don't belong.

I was in a project and had similar problems. It made me look FCP7 with other eyes and realize I had to change the editing software…

Return to posts index

Daniel Monskey
on Dec 11, 2013 at 10:20:37 am

What is the best/most efficient format to use when converting the GoPro files for use in my projects? I have been converting them to Apple ProRez (HQ) because that is what we use for our output to television--and the files are coming back HUGE!---using up substantial harddrive space.
I have fast action in the videos so I want to make sure I maintain clarity and resolution.
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

xdominguez pukkas
on Dec 11, 2013 at 12:07:40 pm
Last Edited By xdominguez pukkas on Dec 11, 2013 at 12:08:39 pm

Can you do log and transfer with FCP7?

If you do that, I think you can media manage the timeline converting the files to Pro Res (HQ). I have never tried it, but I think it is feasible. Let's see if anyone here can confirm this.

Return to posts index

Daniel Monskey
on Dec 11, 2013 at 8:02:58 pm

Do you mean for me to import the long files into FCP7 and output them direct (and forget going through MPEG Streamclip)? I would be guessing at my output format settings, though this is worth a try.
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

Daniel Monskey
on Dec 6, 2013 at 8:12:13 pm

The "red" needs rendering clips will not render though the "green" preview clips are able to be rendered. The project is now taking 38 minutes to open (23 minutes before) and I have not added more than a couple of project clips.

The photos I have added are Bmp format (which look like are RGB) and jpg format.

Rainier,
How do I "First: Bring all media to one format (ProRes) and speed fps"? All my timelines are set to the same Apple ProRez 422 HQ format in the project.

Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

Daniel Monskey
on Dec 6, 2013 at 8:18:17 pm

The "red" needs rendering clips will not batch render though the "green" preview clips are able to be rendered in batches. I can select a single red status render clip and successfully render it though. The project is now taking 38 minutes to open (23 minutes before) and I have not added more than a couple of project clips.

The photos I have added are Bmp format (which look like are RGB) and jpg format.

Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

xavier pilsudksi
on Dec 7, 2013 at 9:45:34 pm

Did you ever find a solution?
Interesting thread

Return to posts index

Daniel Monskey
on Dec 8, 2013 at 12:43:15 pm

No---I had a deadlined project so I had to work through the issues. The time to open the project speed up to 23 minutes (from 23 initially up to 48 or so) and the rendering worked again. At first as things began to improve I could render one red-render clio at a time (not batching), which was tedious and then suddenly I could render the project in full. I did nothing to resolve this.
Therefore I don't trust that it is resolved, but need to watch for reoccurance as I rework the project for final presentation. (BTW: I made the deadline. I do need to do a final output with a few modifications. I will monitor how things work during this process and get back to the forum to help with the knowledge of the group on issues.)

I do like the one gents' suggestion to open the monitor and keep an eye on memory status.

Thank you all for the dedicated interest in assistance to resolve this issue and Xavier for your interest in seeing if this was cleared up.

Great group of helpful and knowledgeable contributors----understanding of technology way over my head!
Thank you again
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]