FORUMS: list search recent posts

convert old project files

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Lucero
convert old project files
on Dec 3, 2013 at 7:15:51 pm

Is it possible to convert/open an old FCP 2 project file in FCP 7. I am not sure what the old file was built on, but I am getting an error that says the codec is unrecognizable. Shouldn't I still be able to open the file and reload the footage on the newer system using a different codec? Thanks in advance!
Phil

PL Productions
Make good videos
Make our clients happy
Make money

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: convert old project files
on Dec 3, 2013 at 7:38:34 pm

[Phil Lucero] " Is it possible to convert/open an old FCP 2 project file in FCP 7."

Yes. Duplicate it first, as FCP will update the file.

[Phil Lucero] "I am not sure what the old file was built on, but I am getting an error that says the codec is unrecognizable."

Ah...now the FOOTAGE might be a different matter. Back in FCP 2-3 days, there were several capture cards that captured to proprietary formats. Matrox RT, Cinewave to name a couple.

[Phil Lucero] "Shouldn't I still be able to open the file and reload the footage on the newer system using a different codec?"

Not necessarily...because the codec is tied to the hardware. But this is speculation. Anyone there know if this is the case...old hardware?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Phil Lucero
on Dec 5, 2013 at 8:18:30 pm

Shane. Thanks for your response. I have discovered the footage was captured using a cinewave card. The new (old now) card is a blackmagic. I was hoping to just load this project and reload the footage for an easy fix but I guess that all the dreams we had back in the early 2000's about never having to recut segments on tape were just wishfull thinking :)

PL Productions
Make good videos
Make our clients happy
Make money

Return to posts index

Phil Lucero
on Dec 5, 2013 at 8:21:17 pm

PS - The project opens fine, it's the sequence that won't open.

PL Productions
Make good videos
Make our clients happy
Make money

Return to posts index

Phil Lucero
on Dec 5, 2013 at 8:30:41 pm

Shane, I was able to figure it out quite by accident. After opening the project, I control-selected the sequence to look at the settings. Again, a window opened to inform me that the Targa Ciné YUV codec was not present, but this time instructed me to change the quicktime compression settings, which I did and wahla (??) the sequence opened like magic :) Thanks again for taking time to respond to my question.
Phil

PL Productions
Make good videos
Make our clients happy
Make money

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]