FORUMS: list search recent posts

Filter for motor sound in final cut pro - or soundtrack pro?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michelle Gold
Filter for motor sound in final cut pro - or soundtrack pro?
on Dec 3, 2013 at 12:07:02 am

Hello,

I am working on an edit for a multi-camera shoot that used an small remote control aerial helicopter for one of the cameras. Unfortunately whenever the copter was running which was often, the noise of the motor overshadows all the audio.

I know it's difficult to adjust bad audio but does anyone have any suggestions for making it better using fcp filters or possibly soundtrack pro (which admittedly I haven't worked with). I've tried using the 3 band equalizer and high and low pass filters with some improvement but not too much.

Any advice would be appreciated. I realize that maybe protools would be a better solution but I unfortunately don't have access to it for this project and want to try to keep it between fcp the fcp studio suite tools if possible.

Thank you in advance!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Filter for motor sound in final cut pro - or soundtrack pro?
on Dec 3, 2013 at 1:07:09 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Dec 3, 2013 at 1:39:51 am

Well, you could try Soundtrack Pro's Noise Reduction filter. Sample the noise to be reduced from an otherwise silent portion of the audio and see if it works.

I have my doubts because of the Doppler Effect changing the pitch of the helicopter motor, which would come from the helicopter moving around. But good luck anyway.

Now you know why they use jibs and other types of complicated camera support hardware: they're a lot quieter than an RC copter from Radio Shack with a GoPro hooked to it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 4, 2013 at 10:28:59 pm

The classic solution to this problem is to ADR "Loop"-in re-done dialogue.

Return to posts index

Michelle Gold
on Dec 4, 2013 at 10:41:43 pm

Understood, however one is a live event and one is a documentary shot in a diff state so options to loop aren't really feasible for us in this case.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]