FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reveal all timeline clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brendan Maghran
Reveal all timeline clips
on Dec 1, 2013 at 8:35:23 pm

Hi All,

I was just handed over a rough cut of a feature that is 150 mins long. I normally work on Avid so I'm a little unsure of the best way to do this.

The situation- the editor stupidly dragged and dropped all 5DMIII H.264 clips directly onto the timeline and cut the rough cut. No need to explain, but that guy dropped out and I am now helping a friend around this. The new editor would now like to convert ONLY the clips in the timeline to Prores 422, relink them and make adjustments.

My questions are: Will the sequence relink to new prores files? And, is there a good way of revealing all the clips in the sequence in the finder at once instead of doing it 1 by 1 and then batch transcode? It's my first foray in a few months back into FCP

It's a lot of clips so any timesavers are a huge help.

Brendan

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: Reveal all timeline clips
on Dec 2, 2013 at 4:49:58 am

"And, is there a good way of revealing all the clips in the sequence in the finder at once instead of doing it 1 by 1 and then batch transcode?"

one way would be to use the Media Manager.

you can select all in timeline, or select the sequence in the browser,
open Media Manager
set it to COPY or to MOVE
all files wil then be in one location.
if you set it to RECOMPRESS, you'd be doing the batch transcode at the same time

but i'm pretty sure this is not a great idea as it would be moving the H264 media away from it's original folder structure.
this could make it hard for finishing, where you might want to go back to the h264 and create high quality versions

there's a chance you can use Log & Transfer to re-transfer just what has been used
IF the original card structure has not been messed up.
best read Shane Ross's article about tapeless workflow.

nick

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 2, 2013 at 3:07:07 pm

He'd have to anyhow, since FCP7 doesn't handle h.264... or is this another case of someone using FCP X posting in the wrong place?

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Dec 2, 2013 at 9:15:46 pm

Here we go again,

first transcoding, then editing. You end up in a mess with a lot of H264 files, because the render files are a killer.
Transfer all of them and use the same clip names in a different folder. Then set the sequence offline and relink with the ProRes files. You have to save the timecode in the transfer to ProRes,

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]