convert short films from 23.976 fps to 29.97 for TV broadcast

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lisha Rigney
convert short films from 23.976 fps to 29.97 for TV broadcast
on Dec 1, 2013 at 1:54:40 am
Last Edited By Lisha Rigney on Dec 1, 2013 at 2:30:02 am

Hello all,

Looking for the best workflow and help with sync issues.

Editing in FCP 7.0.3. I edit a short film showcase for national syndicated television broadcast. In the past we've delivered in SD but will now start delivering, HD/1920 x 1080. 3 of the films for our next episode are 23.976 fps. and each are 8-12 minutes long. For the conversion from 23.976 to 29.97 I used Compressor (3.5.3) to change the frame rate but the audio drifts out of sync. The audio was set to pass-through. I used Larry Jordan's tutorial for reference (http://www.larryjordan.biz/compressor-4-change-frame-rates-video/). Per a thread I found within Creative Cow, I tried it again this time rendering the audio (AAC, Stereo, 48kHz, Better, Average Bit Rate, Target Bit Rate 128) however the audio is still drifting out of sync. Not as much as when I did the conversion with audio-pass through, but by the end of each film audio is still 1-2 frames out of sync when rendering the audio. How do I convert the films to 29.97 for television broadcast? I also have After Effects but am not very savvy with the program and Adobe Media Encoder.

Once I convert the films to 29.97 I can edit/assemble the show as usual taking into consideration the new sequence settings for HD delivery, correct? If not, please advise as to what my workflow should be.

Thanks so much,
Lisha
iMac, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
Promise Pegasus
Black Magic Design Ultrastudio mini monitor to Boland Broadcast monitor

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
Re: convert short films from 23.976 fps to 29.97 for TV broadcast
on Dec 1, 2013 at 8:25:09 am

Hi Lisha,

in your case the sound is the most tricky bit. The picture goes fine with 23,98 to 29,97. i would use Soundtrack pro. It is a program within FCP Studio. There is a project window giving you the videorate, timecode etc. Above there is a Pullup/Pulldown window, where you can get your sound in sync.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 1, 2013 at 9:13:11 am

These are the settings I use in Compressor. No audio drift, no timing change. Oh, other than the fact that 23.98 is non-drop frame timecode only, so not clock-accurate. 29.97 is accurate..so that's why it might seem there's a timing change.

23.98 to 29.97 via Compressor:

1. Drop clips you want to convert into Compressor

2. In Compressor, select your video then right click and choose NEW TARGET WITH SETTING > APPLE > FORMATS > QUICKTIME > APPLE PRORES 422 (HQ). Or pick whatever codec you like to work with.

3. Click on that newly created compression setting to open it in the Inspector window. Click the Encoder tab. Click the Video: (Settingsā€¦) button. Make the frame rate 29.97. Check the interlaced box. Set it's drop down menu to Bottom field first. Click OK.

4. Click the Frame Controls tab. Set Frame Controls to On. Set Output Fields to Bottom first. Leave Deinterlace on Fast. Leave Adaptive Details checked. Leave Rate Conversion set to Fast. Leave the Set Duration to: on 100% and make sure it's radio button is selected and NOT the "so source frames play at 29.97 fps" button.

5. Make changes to the Filters or Geometry sections as needed. Those settings listed above are the ones critical to getting the proper 3:2 pulldown added.

6. Submit the compression, then bring the resulting video back into Final Cut Pro. Place it in a 29.97 timeline and make sure you watch it on an NTSC monitor to verify that it looks good. If you step through it frame-by-frame you should see the familiar pattern of 2 split/interlaced frames followed by 3 whole frames. This is a very important step. I tried many solutions that looked OK playing back on the computer monitor, but looked terrible on the NTSC monitor.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Lisha Rigney
on Dec 1, 2013 at 2:22:46 pm

Hi Shane,

Have these settings worked with clips over 5 minutes? I read that the problem is because my clips are over 5 minutes. I'll give it a go when I get back to the office this afternoon.

Thanks so much!
Lisha

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 1, 2013 at 7:43:35 pm

I've done this on full show exports...44 min.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Lisha Rigney
on Dec 1, 2013 at 8:08:16 pm

Okay. Going to the office to try it now. Thanks Shane!!!!!!

Return to posts index

Lisha Rigney
on Dec 1, 2013 at 2:25:16 pm

Thanks so much Rainer! I import the clip into Soundtrack Pro after doing the 23.98 to 29.97 conversion?

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Dec 2, 2013 at 9:05:28 pm

Hi Lisha,

yes, first transcoding everything into the right Video format, then getting the audio track right.
Good luck with the fiddeling,

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 3, 2013 at 1:22:18 am

If you follow Shane's recommendations, the audio would come with the video at the proper duration. No mucking about with audio necessary.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]