FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transferring A project from Avid MC 5 to FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Edwards
Transferring A project from Avid MC 5 to FCP 7
on Nov 30, 2013 at 9:20:53 pm

Hi Guys! I was recently given a avid media composer 5 project and told to put it into Final cut pro 7 for the final edit. The avid edit was done on mac and I know i have heard that it can be done! I have tried looking at other posts on here and decided to get the automatic duck for fcp and so far it can import the sequences and time lines very well! My problem is that all the media goes offline and when i try to relink the media it either says that its not the right media or when i do reconnect the media it says Failed to load.
Is there something i am not doing? I am exporting the .aaf from avid and sequence codec is xdcam because it was all pretty much shot on the sony ex3 and selecting link to don't export media. I have also tried it with consolidate media but still the same problem. Wondering if anyone out there has had this issue and was able to resolve it? I have included some images of my settings for export.
any help would be very appreciated!
Thanks so much in advance!

Matthew

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
Re: Transferring A project from Avid MC 5 to FCP 7
on Dec 1, 2013 at 8:32:35 am

I think your problem lies in the XDcam media files. For FCP you need XDcam transfer to edit in FCP. I think Avid works natively with XDcam media files. So for FCP you have to transfer the XDcam files first with the exact names to relink. FCP refers mostly to names, Avid mostly to Source timecode and tape.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Matthew Edwards
on Dec 1, 2013 at 7:23:45 pm

Hi Rainer! Thanks for the quick reply! I wonder is there any way to export the media from avid as a quicktime with the same names? Or do i have to go through xdcam transfer? it has already been logged as different names and reconnecting all the files individually will take a huge amount of time since it is a huge project with tonnes of clips. The import with automatic duck actually went really really well! All the edits are there and everything! it only is just not letting me see the clips as a full and not being able to connect to them show them as a offline clip. Thanks so much I am really trying to figure this out and i really appreciate the help!

Matthew

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Dec 2, 2013 at 9:09:20 pm

Hi Matthew,

to me you have to go through XDcam transfer. FCP needs the proper names of the clips for relink

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Matthew Edwards
on Dec 4, 2013 at 12:02:33 am

Thanks so much Rainer! Here what I ended up doing:
I reimported the ex3 footage using log & transfer. Then I took all the capture scratch files and used compressor to convert them into apple pro res 422. Reconnected all the files from the automatic duck import to the pro res ones and now they are working great and everything is there! The only problem is that even though all the footage is in pro res and so is my sequence codec it still un renders it self every time I make a cut. Is there something I did wrong? Thanks again you guys have really helped me out!
Cheers
Matthew

Return to posts index

Matthew Edwards
on Dec 4, 2013 at 7:52:27 pm

Update: I have input all footage using xdcam
Transfer and log and transfer but there is still a bunch of audio files that just aren't there! Is there a way to export the audio from avid to use in fcp?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]