FORUMS: list search recent posts

Elgato SSD Thunderbolt

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stefan sarazin
Elgato SSD Thunderbolt
on Nov 30, 2013 at 12:20:38 am

Hi experts!

I am a total newbie to FCPX and video editing, please take that into account...

I have a macbook air 2011 with a measly 120Gb and would like to edit 2 hours (246 GB) of Sony EX - 1 footage. (XDCAM MP4)- Because of a sale here in Germany I could get either a 120gb elgato thunderbolt SSD external drive (or its 24OGb cousin) for a rather cheap 99/199 €. Since my macbook does NOT support USB 3.0 and I would otherwise be stuck with USB 2.0 I reckoned it wouldn't harm to get a fast drive?

Do you think it makes sense to get one of those drives and use it as an external disk for importing the native material and editing? All I want to get is 20 minute of film out of the material (Not much of effects, just simple editing). Then again, will 240 G disk space be enough for editing 246 G of native material? (I suppose transcoding into Pro Res would create even more Gigs and going the Proxy Resolution route might harm the overall outcome?)

To cut a long story short, will the rather small 240 GB elgato ssd drive (or maybe even the 120 GB one) suffice for what I want to do (and make the editing experience nicer because of the speed) - or I am better of getting a slower USB 2.0 disk but with a larger 1TB capacity?

Thank you all in advance!

Stefan S.

Return to posts index

stefan sarazin
Re: Elgato SSD Thunderbolt
on Nov 30, 2013 at 11:03:54 pm

Since none of you folks seem to be inclined to answer my question, I'll just go look somewhere else then. A place less arrogant maybe. thx

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]