FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 proxy workflow? what is it and how?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Godwin
FCP 7 proxy workflow? what is it and how?
on Nov 26, 2013 at 5:53:08 am

sorry if this is not in the best place to post. people have had questions relating to this sort of thing but nothing too detailed.

Okay so i have really never worked with a proxy editing workflow. I want to ONLY use FCP 7, so please no outside application. What exactly is considered a proxy? I keep hearing that apple pro res is the mac proxy u want, but is Mpeg 4 considered a proxy? I'm basically working with too much high res footage and i figured now is the time to learn an efficient proxy workflow. I also have friends that freelance with other freelancers that utilize this sort of workflow so i need to know in case i come across others who do this. please give a very detailed description on how to do this. Also a description on what exactly a proxy is...to me it just sounds like a compression that u use as your editing footage then when done editing u "reconnect media" to its better format settings. How do u reconnect media to do that? How should I go about organizing this whole ordeal? I'm no newcomer to FCP 7 but i feel as though i needed to be treated as one to truely figure this out. I also keep hearing of people editing "offline"/"online" when doing this...what does this mean, how do you do it? I hate to say it, but please treat me like a toddler on this lol. step by step would be great.

Thank you in advance. it is very appreciated.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP 7 proxy workflow? what is it and how?
on Nov 26, 2013 at 7:01:53 am

[David Godwin] "What exactly is considered a proxy?"

Lower resolution...like ProRes Proxy, or Offline RT HD.

[David Godwin] "I keep hearing that apple pro res is the mac proxy u want, but is Mpeg 4 considered a proxy?"

No. In the context you are using, it is a lower resolution EDITING codec. One that can maintain metadata needed to relink to full res footage later. MPEG 4 doesn't...it doesn't track timecode, or reel number...essential for offline "proxy" editing. And that format isn't one you can create INSIDE FCP for offline editing...part of your requirement.

[David Godwin] "please give a very detailed description on how to do this"

KNow that this will ONLY work if you shoot with a camera that is compatible with FCP...one that it can interface with via Log and Transfer. If ANY outside app is used to create the proxy...then this process will be far from simple.

Here is the offline/online workflow for tapeless media in FCP...a video tutorial:

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless_online/1

[David Godwin] "Also a description on what exactly a proxy is"

Low resolution. Also called an "offline editing codec." Offline editing is the term used for basic editing...done with low resolution footage. After that is done, and "online conform" is done to relink to the full resolution media, and transcode that to full resolution editing codecs.

[David Godwin] " How do u reconnect media to do that?"

Watch the tutorial. Basically you choose the sequence, use the media manager to MAKE OFFLINE, with handles. And then batch capture the footage.

[David Godwin] "How should I go about organizing this whole ordeal?"

It's in the tutorial. Oh, it is VERY important to offload the media properly, and to name the folder it is offloaded into, as that name becomes the REEL number. SO no odd symbols in it...!@#$%^&*()/:;...stuff like that.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Godwin
Re: FCP 7 proxy workflow? what is it and how?
on Nov 26, 2013 at 12:35:59 pm

Thanks Shane that makes alot more sense now. Definitely the best description I've seen.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]