FORUMS: list search recent posts

Calibrating a Gateway Monitor to use it as a second Monitor with accurate color from Final Cut Pro 6.0

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glen Jennings
Calibrating a Gateway Monitor to use it as a second Monitor with accurate color from Final Cut Pro 6.0
on Nov 26, 2013 at 3:12:53 am

Hi,
I just purchased a 21.5" Gateway brand monitor to use with Final Cut Pro 6.0. (and also After Effects CS6) on my MacBook Pro OS-X 10.8.5 as a second monitor.

Would anybody recommend a correct Color Profile to see color accurately from my Final Cut Pro timeline?

I'm currently defaulted to the auto-correct setting on the monitor itself. I'm not very familiar with the Color Sync Utility app on my MacBook Pro. The display settings on the Gateway automatically set to color profile : "GTW KX2153," where as the calibraion on the mac monitor is "Color LCD." I assume that "GTW" stands for Gateway and my MacBook Pro somehow assessed the brand & model of the new monitor when I plugged it in via VGA and applied the brand-specific color calibration for it (alothough I didn't install a driver or anything.)

I've learned from previous frustrations that the color image on my mac isn't true to how it looks elsewhere and generally darkens the video down slightly.

The video image from my Final Cut timeline looks slightly lighter on the Gateway second monitor.

I'd like to see the most accurate color calibration as possible from my Final Cut timeline.

If anybody's got some more wisdom on this subject I would be grateful. My girlfriend is a photo retoucher and says I need a piece of gear called a Datacolor Spyder4Pro S4P100 Colorimeter for Display Calibration, but as a video guy I've not familiar with it.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Calibrating a Gateway Monitor to use it as a second Monitor with accurate color from Final Cut Pro 6.0
on Nov 26, 2013 at 4:41:17 am

Color calibrators for computer monitors calibrate for PRINT work...and PHOTO work...not video. You'll be hard pressed to get a video accurate image with FCP on a computer monitor. But if you calibrate with that, you'll get a decent, accurate image for COMPUTER viewing, ie the web and file played directly in QT. The interface in FCP 7 and earlier (including 6)...the canvas and viewer...aren't color accurate, not designed to be. THese apps are designed to be used in conjunction with Video IO hardware (aja.com, decklink.com, matrox.com) to send the signal to a VIDEO monitor (not COMPUTER DISPLAY)...such as broadcast monitors or HDTVs.

If your work is primarily for the web, and you need the interface to match accurately, then you need a different editing app. FCX is designed with this in mind, as is Adobe Premiere Pro.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]