Any Workflow suggestions? Sync & Group, Moving from Avid to FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Elder
Any Workflow suggestions? Sync & Group, Moving from Avid to FCP
on Nov 23, 2013 at 10:32:37 am

Hello.

I a workflow question.

I am helping out on a project for someone. I am told the editor will be cutting on final cut. I am supposed to sync and group the shots and send the drive back to the editor. However, the drive has nothing but avid MXF files on it (I was expecting QTs). So the question here is what should I do? Should I sync them in Avid and then export QT (do i even need to export QTs? Is there a better workflow?) or should I try to convert the MXFs first and do the sync in Final Cut?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Any Workflow suggestions? Sync & Group, Moving from Avid to FCP
on Nov 23, 2013 at 5:02:21 pm

Have the editor work on Avid. The amount of effort it will take to get this footage to work in FCP will be enormous, and cost money for apps that allow you to convert MXF media (because it isn't footage from a camera, so FCP will not interface with it and convert it) to QT.

Oh, there is free software out there from Automatic Duck.com called Pro Import...so what you'd have to do is make a sequence with ALL the media (this only works with sequences), export an AAF of that, use Pro Import to bring that into FCP (QT reference movies will be made allowing FCP to view the MXF files)...and then you'll need to use the Media Manager to convert all that media to ProRes, and then organize it. Or...use Avid and start grouping and syncing right away. This can be done, but there will be a lot of effort and time (because figuring out the Duck might take trial and error), and billable hours attached.

This is Avid media, so this is an Avid job. The editor needs to edit with Avid Media Composer...or hire another editor. If you don't want to tell them, point them to this link and they can talk to me.

FCP 7 is dead...the editor needs to learn editing software that has a future.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]