FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best strategy for digitizing DV Mini tape on Final Cut

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pam Timson
Best strategy for digitizing DV Mini tape on Final Cut
on Nov 22, 2013 at 8:52:46 pm

I am preparing to digitize several hundred hours of DV mini tape shot in standard on a Sony VX1000 and a Panasonic DVX100 and wish to get the best quality from these tapes. Currently I have Final Cut Pro 6.06
1) Is it true that I should convert to FCP7 and use an Apple Pro Res codec?
If so then:
2) Will the "upgrade" FCP7 software work for me? If I can upgrade how do I find out if the 6.06 I have is not a student version that I understand can not be upgraded.
3) What codec should I use?
4) I have already digitized about a hundred hours in DV NTSC, can I convert this material to the recommended codec through the Apple Converter.
Thanks for the feedback!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Best strategy for digitizing DV Mini tape on Final Cut
on Nov 22, 2013 at 9:06:24 pm

[Pam Timson] "1) Is it true that I should convert to FCP7 and use an Apple Pro Res codec?"

No. There is no way to do this when you capture, and there is zero benefit from doing so. When you capture DV into FCP, it captures it natively...meaning a transfer of 1's and 0's...it's a digital format on the tape, FCP is just cpaturing it. ZERO quality loss between tape and FCP. So there is no benefit in capturing as ProRes...the only thing you'll gain is file size.

[Pam Timson] "2) Will the "upgrade" FCP7 software work for me? If I can upgrade how do I find out if the 6.06 I have is not a student version that I understand can not be upgraded."

FCP 7 was discontinued two and a half years ago. The only place to find it is second hand...craigslist, ebay, etc. Yes, the upgrade will work if you do not have the student edition.

[Pam Timson] "3) What codec should I use?"

It's very straight forward. Connect the camera to the computer...turn it on. Open FCP. Go to the FINAL CUT PRO menu and choose EASY SETUP. Select DV/NTSC (DV/PAL if you are in Europe)...and you are done. It'll control the camera, and capture the footage directly as DV/NTSC.

[Pam Timson] "4) I have already digitized about a hundred hours in DV NTSC, can I convert this material to the recommended codec through the Apple Converter."

No need...the recommended codec is DV.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]