FORUMS: list search recent posts

Efficient workflow - burn dub preview copies, high video volume?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grant Peacock
Efficient workflow - burn dub preview copies, high video volume?
on Nov 22, 2013 at 3:28:11 pm
Last Edited By Grant Peacock on Nov 22, 2013 at 3:36:52 pm

I have run into a workflow problem preparing a preview copy when the volume of HD footage is high (multi-cam event, cameras running all day).

I simply want to put out preview quality copies of all video, with t.code filter applied. (For client logging).

What is a reasonable way to get to say an MPEG-4 version? If I use FCP's export to QT, then apply MPEG Streamclip to generate MPEG-4's from those files, the preview quality is good, but the time commitment is horrible (hours of processing for each 60 mins of video).

Is there a more efficient way?

I have tried exporting from FCP straight to MPEG-4, but the results are so poor that it's distracting to look at, even for logging purposes. (Source footage is P2 at 1080/30p NTSC.)

PS : just thought to add something - 'burn dub' might be an old school expression at this point.. it refers to camera t.code keyed in on-screen. I think there may be new terms floating around for this video treatment...

Grant Peacock
Grant Peacock Images
Washington DC
http://www.gpi.tv

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Efficient workflow - burn dub preview copies, high video volume?
on Nov 22, 2013 at 5:44:35 pm

Is the final product FTP'd or burned to DVD for those clients to look over?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Efficient workflow - burn dub preview copies, high video volume?
on Nov 22, 2013 at 5:48:07 pm

Well, you can have all the raw P2 files made into MP4 files for the clients with handy software from Imagineproducts.com called PROXYMILL. I use this on the set (it does the proxy making while you offload) and can often hand the producers a flash stick with the proxys before we leave the location.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Grant Peacock
Proxy files - time code burn in
on Nov 22, 2013 at 5:53:57 pm

Thanks again Shane for the input.

This sounds extremely efficient - just one thing - a typical client is going to be doing previews via computer, hence will need a time code reference keyed in on image. That would not be possible with the system you are recommending, would it?

Grant.

Grant Peacock
Grant Peacock Images
Washington DC

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Proxy files - time code burn in
on Nov 22, 2013 at 5:55:21 pm

http://www.imagineproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&pro...

Proxymill adds burned in timecode...otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned it.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Grant Peacock
Alternatives to Proxymill?
on Nov 22, 2013 at 11:28:58 pm

I've run into the 'upgrade wall' with this software. Dan Montgomery tells me there's nothing available for people hanging onto OS 10.7.5 (which I am, along with Final Cut Pro 7).

Back to the software that I have - is it possible to tweak settings to optimize (speed) the export out of Final Cut Pro? Or is it going to be dead slow no matter how you try it? The end goal is just a moderate quality (preview suitable) burn dub of the shoot - I'm not wedded to any particular means of getting there.

One of the things that did look very interesting about Proxymill was the ability to manage multiple streams of processing in batch form - eg : ingest from P2 cards, and then immediately begin MPEG-4 outputs as the files become available. But if it ends up costing me the transition to Final Cut X, the answer is no. I have no energy left for starting the learning curve again. I'm going to ride this horse until it quits.

Grant.

Grant Peacock
Grant Peacock Images
Washington DC

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Alternatives to Proxymill?
on Nov 22, 2013 at 11:52:50 pm

Compressor will burn in Timecode, and make H.264s...timecode is in the FILTER section. But it doesn't work with camera originals from most cameras, the footage will have to be imported and converted to QT first.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: Alternatives to Proxymill?
on Nov 23, 2013 at 6:44:34 am

also look into Resolve.

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved