FORUMS: list search recent posts

MacBook Pro and FCP 6

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Walton
MacBook Pro and FCP 6
on Nov 22, 2013 at 2:35:21 pm

I have been reading the threads on the new 15" Retina MacBook Pro and FCP 7. I use and have the original install disks from FCP 6 and am wondering if I will be able to install FCP 6 on the new computer.

If this is possible can I also install FCP X on the same boot drive as FCP 6?

Thanks

Dick Walton
Natural History Services
http://www.rkwalton.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: MacBook Pro and FCP 6
on Nov 22, 2013 at 5:45:35 pm

You couldn't install FCP 6 on a computer with Mountain Lion (10.8) installed without going through a few hacks. So trying to install it (the software is 6 years old, by the way) onto Mavericks (10.9) might prove impossible. And who knows if it will even work. Apple doesn't take into consideration older, discontinued software when it makes the new OS. Even it's own discontinued software.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Richard Walton
on Nov 27, 2013 at 8:27:14 pm

Thanks for your ideas!

Dick Walton
Natural History Services
http://www.rkwalton.com

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Nov 22, 2013 at 9:39:01 pm
Last Edited By Joseph Owens on Nov 22, 2013 at 9:41:59 pm

[Richard Walton] "Natural History Services"

It would be like experimenting with Ice Age animals and how they might survive in the tropics.
Or whether "Grand Prix Legends" would be really hot on Windows 8.

People are having enough trouble trying to sort out why Mavericks is killing their applications, even as recent as Resolve 10. God "bless" you, Apple...

However, a fresh install and instant update from FCP6 to 7 still might work... worth a try.
There are tricky ways to have 7 and FCPX coexist on the same hard drive, but it is not simply a matter of installing one after the other. They are mutually incompatible in a large number of ways. I'd try FCP6-->7 first, then protect it (if the install works) by building all the alternate folders you need to move around its assets so that the hunter-killer components of FCPX don't find and destroy them.... which they will.

Before X was actually released, there were a lot of advisories describing alternate boot drives to address keeping 7 and X apart, but experience shows that to be kind of inconvenient. Especially if you have a lot of support apps that you would like to keep running in parallel. Then you have to re-install all of them.
* on that note, it might be easier to either re-format or create a new boot drive and roll it back to Snow Leopard, for example.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]