FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to set up FCP 7 editing from Seagate Central Ethernet drive and back up on Backup Plus local drive

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Benson
Trying to set up FCP 7 editing from Seagate Central Ethernet drive and back up on Backup Plus local drive
on Nov 21, 2013 at 6:24:41 pm

I'm frustrated. I just purchased a 4TB Seagate Central Drive (cat 6 cord from gigabit router to drive, then cat6 cord to Mac Pro). I also purchased a 4TB Seagate Backup Plus drive that is connected via USB 3 directly to Mac Pro.

All I want to do is store ALL of my video folders on the Central drive, be able to edit from them, then run backups of the contents of the Central drive to the Backup Plus. Sounds simple, but it's not.

If I add clips to the Central and try to edit, I get General Errors and other errors. It doesn't work. I read I have to create disk images in Disk Utility locally, then drag to Central drive. But that seems like a workaround and not a solid solution.

How do I simply add all projects to a Ethernet drive, edit from them and have the contents back up to my local Backup Plus Drive? I'm pulling my hair out and need to get editing.

I'm ready to just dump all video to the backup drive and start working, and figure out a way to backup everything to the Central drive. (which seems backwards, but I have no other ideas).

Thanks for your help!

Josh

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Trying to set up FCP 7 editing from Seagate Central Ethernet drive and back up on Backup Plus local drive
on Nov 21, 2013 at 8:21:11 pm

Hi Josh,

First, what codecs are you attempting to edit?

How many streams (layers)?

For the record, consumer "network attached" storage is designed for moving small files such as Word docs, photos, etc., not for editing/streaming video performance. You're more likely to get editing/streaming performance off the USB3 drive you bought for backup than the network attached drive you bought specifically for that purpose.

What was your motivation for purchasing network attached storage over direct attached storage?

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Josh Benson
Re: Trying to set up FCP 7 editing from Seagate Central Ethernet drive and back up on Backup Plus local drive
on Dec 14, 2013 at 8:03:31 pm

Thanks David:

After much experimentation, I did just want you recommended. I am editing from the Backup Plus drive (which works well) and then I was having Time Machine back up everything (including the Backup Plus) to my Seagate Central. That works, but now I'm finding that the Seagate Central is negatively affecting my network (waiting for it to connect, perhaps slowing down our Wi-Fi, etc.). So I'm trying to find a way to just set up Central just like the Backup Plus direct to my Mac Pro and just have Time Machine to its job directly. The whole 'network drive' experience was nothing but frustrations and the salesman who sold me on the idea clearly didn't know the limitations. I guess I didn't either. Oh well, the backup drive is working great. I just need to use Central some other way. I wish I could connect it to my Mac Pro with the Cat 6 cord and have it recognize it, which it's not. It does have a USB jack on it, but I'll need to get an adapter to go back into the Mac Pro. Something like USB to Firewire 800 if they make such a thing. I'm dreaming and planning my new Mac Pro setup for 2014, so these pains are temporary. I just want to ensure all my video is backed up first and foremost. Thanks for your help, David! Much appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]