FORUMS: list search recent posts

iphone slow mo fcp 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Melaku Zenebe
iphone slow mo fcp 7
on Nov 21, 2013 at 4:18:05 pm

Hi,

I have shot a number of slow mo videos using the IPHONE 5 at 120fps.

I imported the footage into FCP 7, And once it is all exported i noticed that the clarity and quality is not as good as the original on the IPHONE 5. I have been using the h264. codec in compressor for your information.

What sequence settings should i be using?

I have been told i should be conforming my clips using cinema tools and have since done this. But what frame rate would i best be conforming to if all the footage in the project is shot using the IPHONE? Would i even still need to conform.

And last but not least whats the best export setting to use to get as close to looking like it does on my IPHONE 5.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Mel

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: iphone slow mo fcp 7
on Nov 21, 2013 at 5:20:20 pm

IN order to use this with FCP 7, you need to do a lot of things. First off, convert the footage to ProRes 422. This will increase the file size by quite a bit, but is the only way FCP will work with it properly. Use COMPRESSOR or MPEG STREAMCLIP to do this.

Then use CINEMA TOOLS to conform the footage. To WHAT frame rate? Up to you..what do you want it to be? 24fps? 30fps? 25fps? (25 is PAL...european format). here's a tutorial on how to do that:

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/slow-motion_cinema-tools/1

Now that you've done that you bring it into FCP to edit. But then you need to export. To what format? Depends...what are you exporting it to? DVD? BluRay? YouTube? Vimeo? MP4? H.264 Quicktime MOV? Will the quality be EXACTLY the same...no, because you are converting it twice. It should be close though...ProRes is a great codec we use for broadcast all the time. It's the FINAL conversion that will be the most lossy.

It would be far easier to use Adobe Premiere or FCP-X for this. THey both work with the format natively, can conform the frame rate internally, and then export to a format you want...ONE conversion, not two.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]