FORUMS: list search recent posts

Strange Quicktime Glitches After Copy

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Peterson
Strange Quicktime Glitches After Copy
on Nov 20, 2013 at 7:20:17 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm totally stumped by this, wondering if anyone has some suggestions.

We have some Canon C300 footage transcoded to ProRes 422. The footage looks fine when played back after being transcoded on a shuttle drive.

Once it is copied from the drive to the edit system, however, we get a bunch of weird visual and audio glitches.

When I copy it using a separate laptop, there are no issues at all with the footage, even using the same external drives.

The glitches ONLY appear after copying using the edit system.

Is there such a thing as corrupting a Quicktime via a read/write error? Does this sound like a bad Firewire port, or a bad motherboard?

(We're using a 2008 8-core Mac Pro 3,1 as the edit system. It's running Mavericks now, but the problem existed on Mountain Lion. We're copying over Firewire 800. The laptop is a 2010 MBP Duo Core running Snow Leopard. The drives are mostly Western Digital, with some GTECH shuttle drives.)

Thanks!
Mike

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Strange Quicktime Glitches After Copy
on Nov 20, 2013 at 10:12:34 pm

What are the nature of the glitches? Something that might be caused by a connection that can't keep up with the necessary bit rate?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mike Peterson
on Nov 20, 2013 at 10:35:19 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply!

They are artifact-y type glitches that make me think of a corrupted file: green squares or dots appearing over the image, or sometimes the image will show half of one frame, and half of another frame from another part of the clip.

They don't remind me of what I'm used to as being a slow drive, such as stuttering video or a white screen.

Return to posts index

John Street
on Nov 21, 2013 at 4:03:37 pm

Hi Mike,

We recently have experienced the same thing on a few occasions ... luckily our workflow includes backing up the raw card media with ShotPut Pro which has verification ... because our main edit files which have been rewrapped to QT and the backups of those files have displayed the same corruption.

This has only happened to us when copying via Firewire, and it had primarily (maybe only but I can't tell for sure) happened on one specific laptop.

So in our situation we 1.) threw away all the Firewire cables that we thought might have been used for the transfers, 2.) try to never use the laptop that seemed to be the problem ... and 3.) we always now do a verification with ShotPut Pro whenever we're copying important media -- even if we don't do the copy with ShotPut Pro (because we have problems with it crashing on large transfers), we still run its Checksum App after the copy is done.

Several years ago we had a similar problem that turned out to be bad RAM. Since all file transfers run through the computer's RAM during the process, if the RAM is not putting out the same thing as went into it, this can cause corruptions. But in that case we were seeing lots of weird non-repeatable errors in ALL areas, not just in file transfer.

Good luck!

--
John Street
http://www.inpoint.tv
Mac OS 10.7.5, FCS 7.0.3, QT 7.6.6, Mac Pro 2x3GHz Quad-Core, 16GB Ram

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]