FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting from FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lara Taylor
Exporting from FCP7
on Nov 20, 2013 at 7:23:12 am

I am editing some old footage that was converted from DVD to .mov to edit in FCP7. I have finished the edit and it all looks great when I play it from my timeline but when I try to export it out (have tried QT Movie and QT Conversion-Mpeg 4, H264 etc) the in an out points of some of the clips changes. It's completely baffled me - any ideas?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Exporting from FCP7
on Nov 20, 2013 at 1:00:40 pm

Which is your sequence codec?
If is something like H264, change it by Prores.
Export a self contained movie and then convert it to whatever you want.
rafael

Return to posts index

Lara Taylor
on Nov 20, 2013 at 1:35:01 pm

Thanks for that Rafael
Have tried to change it to Apple Pro Res 422(HQ) Pal 48kHZ but its still making the clips start and end in the wrong places...
Lara

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Nov 20, 2013 at 2:51:09 pm

You probably need to convert the original mov to ProRes. I had a problem a few months ago, where making a still from one frame of the mov simply created one from a different frame i didn't click on. In this case the assistant had converted the mov from a power point file and gave me a mov with a weird framerate, something like 36 fps... Once i made the ProRes from that everything worked as usual

Return to posts index

Lara Taylor
on Nov 20, 2013 at 6:14:19 pm

Problem is I had to rip the original footage from a DVD as that is the only format the client had it in, so it was a VOB file but I still really struggled to even get that. Are you saying I should try and convert the VOB file ProRes?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 20, 2013 at 7:26:32 pm

Well, convert it to an editing codec. Even DV/NTSC or DV50...better than ProREs really. Use MPEG STREAMCLIP and convert to DV50

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Lara Taylor
on Nov 22, 2013 at 12:25:05 pm

Thanks for this Nikolas. I'm not too technically savvy, so correct me if I'm wrong but would I need to re-edit everything then?
I had a lot of trouble converting the footage from DVD in the first place - Mpeg Streamclip wouldnt let me do it. Only VLC and even then it was complicated.
At the moment my sequence setting is Apple Pro Res 422 (HQ) Pal 48khz but I'm not sure if that is right. (I'm in S.Africa so needs to be Pal).
Do you know if there is any other way of getting this sequence off my timeline without these changes?

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Nov 22, 2013 at 3:14:39 pm

You should be able to force-relink newly converted footage as long as the length of the clip is the same. But since you are having issues with the in and outs with the exported clip it seems that your original mov is screwed up, I've never encountered a problem like that. If you relink to the new mov it could screw up your edit. I would duplicate the project and try it out. I doubt you'll get a clean edit out from your timeline as it is now, no matter what you export

In my opinion the setting you are using is correct, at least I've used it a few times and even played out to DigiBeta and delivered files to TV.

However if this is going to TV as a file you need to check if ApplePro Res is an accepted format in S.Africa. If they want something else like DV50 it would be better to edit it that format. In Germany the private TV stations started asking for ProRes about 2 years ago, and all the other ones can handle Apple ProRes as well, but its all HD now.

Shane thinks that DV50 is a better choice. Perhaps he knows something I don't.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

Lara Taylor
on Nov 24, 2013 at 7:20:12 pm

Funny I often sing that song to myself!

Fortunately the edit is just for web so now I'm wondering if there is a video version of 'screen grab'. So that I can play it out and capture it externally if you know what I mean?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]