FORUMS: list search recent posts

Changing from h264 to Proress Proxy during edit

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Jackson
Changing from h264 to Proress Proxy during edit
on Nov 18, 2013 at 6:50:55 pm

Unfortunately I began editing in FCP7 with the master h264 files shot on a 5d MKII and MKIII. The system was crashing often and was unstable. I have now transcoded all clips to ProRes Proxy with Mpeg Streamclip. However, am not sure how to best go about relinking all the project files and sequences to newly created prores files.

Has anyone gone down this road before and found themselves in my position - what's the best way to dig myself out of this mess.

Thanks,
c.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Changing from h264 to Proress Proxy during edit
on Nov 18, 2013 at 7:15:18 pm

This tutorial might help you to figure out how to lessen the mess.

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/ross_shane/tapeless_online/video-tu...

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 18, 2013 at 9:50:38 pm

You shouldn't have used MPEG STREAMCLIP if you wanted to relink your current cut. You should have used the MEDIA MANAGER inside FCP...RECOMPRESS.

You can try to RECONNECT..hope the timecode matches....

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Craig Jackson
on Nov 18, 2013 at 10:47:49 pm

Thanks Guys. I wish I had reached out before getting started. Have imported Prores files in to FCP, changed sequence settings to 422 proxy and reconnected all media to prores files on hard drive - everything seems to look good. Although when reconnecting it did warn against time codes not matching. Will this affect me down the road when reconnecting to master media?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 18, 2013 at 11:53:22 pm

Yes. Timecode is the bookmark...it's how FCP and other NLE's keep track of what is where. Clip A, 1 min, 10 seconds, 18 frames in is the start point of a clip you use in a cut, for example. The timecode is the marker. Now, if the timecode of your converted footage doesn't match the original...relinking will not like properly, and different parts of clips will show up in the timeline.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]