FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro needs to render EVRYTHING!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Vanderbrook
Final Cut Pro needs to render EVRYTHING!
on Nov 17, 2013 at 9:39:57 pm

This is an issue that's been bugging me lately. It seems that I have to render a lot more than I've ever had to before. Even with my RT set to unlimited, I no longer get the orange bar on the timeline, where FCP will attempt playback, even if I've added filters or effects. It's red or green and nothing in between. Here are all my specs.

Machine: Mac mini running OS 10.8.5. Processor is a 2.66 GHz Intel Core Duo. Memory is 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3. FCP is version 7.0.3.

The video I'm editing currently was shot on a Canon 60D. 1920x1080, H.264 compression, 23.98 fps. Sequence settings match the video settings.

Any filter or transition I add to the timeline causes the footage to go unrendered, even just cross fades and color correction. This never used to happen, and it's slowing me down to a frustrating crawl. Am I doing something wrong, or is my machine just not up to snuff?

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Final Cut Pro needs to render EVRYTHING!
on Nov 17, 2013 at 10:06:16 pm

Are you editing with the h.264 footage? FCP doesn't like h.264. It's best to transcode it to a flavor of ProRes and edit with that.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.9, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 17, 2013 at 10:08:21 pm

What did you change recently? What is new about your work flow recently?

I have not read a single word about that so far.....

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brett Vanderbrook
on Nov 17, 2013 at 10:23:40 pm

The Mac Mini is relatively new. I used to edit on a MacBook Pro, but it was 3 years older than the Mini, and its specs were certainly not as good. I suppose I'm editing a lot more Canon DSLR footage lately, whereas I used to edit mainly from a Panasonic HVX. It must be the H.264 format that's binding up the works.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 18, 2013 at 12:32:07 am

[Brett Vanderbrook] " It must be the H.264 format that's binding up the works."

Yes. Use a utility like 5DtoRGB, ClipWrap, or Grinder to convert your DSLR footage to ProRes LT and you will notice a night/day difference.

Return to posts index

Brett Vanderbrook
on Nov 18, 2013 at 12:49:05 am

Thanks. Just downloaded 5DtoRGB Lite and will give it a try. Hope they have a batch option, though. Can't imagine doing this one by one.

Mac Mini (Late 2009)
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
OS 10.6.8
Final Cut Pro version 6.0.6

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 18, 2013 at 1:27:45 am

[Brett Vanderbrook] "Can't imagine doing this one by one."

They do. It costs $50 or so. ClipWrap is the same. Grinder is part of the Magic Bullets Shooter Suite in case you have that.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Nov 18, 2013 at 5:22:16 am

You can use Log and Transfer with the Canon plug-in to transcode footage to ProRes.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 18, 2013 at 1:27:36 pm

[Steve Eisen] " You can use Log and Transfer with the Canon plug-in to transcode footage to ProRes."

I've had that method result in a few corrupt transcodes before, just FYI.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]