FORUMS: list search recent posts

jagged/pixelated/aliasing effect/whatever it's called on exported footage (picture included!)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonny Pratt
jagged/pixelated/aliasing effect/whatever it's called on exported footage (picture included!)
on Nov 15, 2013 at 12:00:36 am

Hi,

I couldn't find any threads relating to this specifically, at least note of the suggestions worked relating to similar questions. Anyway, the issue is as follows:

I'm working with 1920x1080 25fps SLR footage.

The top example image was from footage that was passed through After Effects and exported as a "lossless" format. Not sure of the format/codec specifics but it was then passed through Mpeg Streamclip and converted to Prores422LT, still 1080p, still progressive, no known changes whatsoever, resulting in the quality that you can see there.

The second image was taken from an export out from FCP7. In FCP, this is also what the quality of the canvas video is like. The sequence settings are set to 1080 ProresLT, no field dominance, all the same video settings, I've tried fiddling with the other tabs in Sequence Settings and all that, I've tried various de-interlacing techniques which either don't work or make the video blurry, and I've tried the anti-aliasing, which just blurs the footage out completely. This is the best/sharpest image quality I've managed to get out of FCP… and it's lame.

It's a slightly old project and I could try starting over in Premiere, which I have available. But I'd really rather not start over.

Any advice would be awesome. Cheers!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: jagged/pixelated/aliasing effect/whatever it's called on exported footage (picture included!)
on Nov 17, 2013 at 5:23:53 am

Go to the fcp browser. Look at the erroneously-named Field Dominance column. Set the dominance of the footage to None.

You'll have to put it in the timeline again; the change won't be reflected in the footage in the timeline.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jonny Pratt
Re: jagged/pixelated/aliasing effect/whatever it's called on exported footage (picture included!)
on Nov 27, 2013 at 11:39:01 pm

No joy unfortunately - still the same issue. Is there anything I can try next?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 28, 2013 at 12:38:52 am

Yeah, make sure the field order of the edit timeline is also set to None.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jon Kincaid
on Feb 22, 2014 at 5:56:27 am

I have been having the exact same problem.
My original video is a .avi, Codec H264 Mpeg-4 AVC, Planar 4:2:0 YUV, 720 x 576 pix., 25 fps, pixel ratio PAL CCIR 601, fiel dominance upper.
My FCP sequence is DV PAL, 720 x 576 pix., 25 fps, Pixel ratio CCIR (DV PAL 5:4), field dominance upper (odd).

After looking into different options I converted the original clip with Mpeg Streamclip to AppleProRes 422, Planar 4:2:2 YUV 10-bit LE, 720 x 576, 25 fps.
Also tried with a new sequence setting: AppleProRes 422, 720 x 576 pix., Pixel aspect PAL CCIR 601, field dominance Upper (odd).

I tried switching the field dominance in the sequence and when converting the video and nothing corrects the problem.
For now I'll just add anti-aliasing filter, even if it decreases the quality somewhat.

Return to posts index

Danielle Warren
on Oct 7, 2014 at 3:49:43 pm

Hi there, also having the same problem. My sequence in FCP7 is the picture below.

And I export from AE with these settings:
Format: Quicktime. Format Options: Animation
Channels: RGB+Apha
1920x1080

When I bring into FCP, the field dominance of the AE file says NONE. The sequence is also set to be NONE for field dominance, but the titles are pixelated. The pixel aspect ratio of the sequence is square, as is the AE file. I really don't understand how to fix this. Adding the anti-alias filter does help, but there must be a way to bring the text into FCP without it becoming pixelated once it's in there.

Any other options to try?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 7, 2014 at 6:18:40 pm

Make sure the frame rates match. Software and camera makers have a vile, nasty habit of using the term, "23.98" but that is NOT the actual frame rate, just a nickname. The actual frame rate is 23.976.

Thus, if you imported something with an actual frame rate of 23.98 -- created in a different application like After Effects -- you could be running into trouble.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]