FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut 6 keeps crashing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neal Boyle
Final Cut 6 keeps crashing
on Nov 13, 2013 at 11:43:03 am

Hi All,

I have a project that is working with Pro Res 422 footage, standard def project. The footage was shot on HD Cam tape. The last couple of weeks everything has been fine but now Final Cut is crashing when I work with this footage. The crashes happen during playback of the timeline or if I do something like match frame.

I have tested the HDD and media drive (G-RAID 1TB) with disk utility and disk warrior. And tested the RAM with Memtest, all ok.

I have also renamed the plugins folder, but nothing new has been added for some time so that was unlikely to have any bearing.

I've also made a new project and just brought in one clip of footage to see if the edit had become too complicated, but the same thing happens on a timeline with just a dozen clips pasted down. I have set the timeline to match the footage, Pro res.

This is an old system but it's never given problems like this.
Because it was all working ok for a few weeks I don't feel that the media files are the issue.
Any ideas or suggestions welcome,
Neal

Machine Name: Power Mac G5
Machine Model: PowerMac7,3
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.1)
Number Of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 2.7 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 1.35 GHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.2.4f1

Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP6)
Capture card is Blackmagic Extreem
Two Apple monitors, Cinema Display and Cinema HD Display

Return to posts index

Neal Boyle
Re: Final Cut 6 keeps crashing
on Nov 13, 2013 at 12:50:03 pm

I've transcoded all the Prores media to DV Pal. Set up a new project and dragged the edited sequences into this project. To re-link to the new DV footage I’ve tried:

Swapping the DV footage into the pro res folder. The footage links to the DV media and I changed the time line to DV Pal but it still crashes. The media looks to be still linked to the old project. The assistant editor had colour coded the media clips in the previous project and this is still showing on the time line even though it is now reading from the new DV footage.

So I've made a new sequence and copy passed an edit into it, then manually re-edited the footage over the original edit, slow tedious but now it plays ok and doesn’t look to be referencing the original project.

It doesn't answer the question of what caused the problem but I can get on with the job. I have 8 sequences with about 2 hours of heavily edited multi-track timelines to get through. Is there a faster way to do this?

N

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Nov 13, 2013 at 2:20:02 pm

Trash all preference/plist files of FCP.
Also try Digital Rebellion's FCP Project repair App.

Greetings,

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions
http://www.youtube.com/taikang

Return to posts index

Neal Boyle
on Nov 13, 2013 at 2:59:55 pm

Thanks Sascha,

That seems to have done the job. I also just noticed that the assistant had set the application and stills cache to 100%, this could also have been a factor since I'm using a lot of archive photos.

Neal

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Nov 13, 2013 at 3:17:43 pm

Happy to help :-).

Good luck with the project!

Sascha Engel
TIME BANDITZ Productions
http://www.youtube.com/taikang

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>