FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow from iphone through FCP 7 to YouTube

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Peterson
Workflow from iphone through FCP 7 to YouTube
on Nov 12, 2013 at 3:57:05 pm

I have been creating a weekly podcast and spend too much time rendering. I have played around with conversions and know just enough to get me into trouble. I've used a droplet in Compressor to import my iPhone footage as ProRes 422, but the file size was huge. Doing this weekly will kill my laptop.

Does anyone know the best settings to import video from my iPhone, set the timeline in Final Cut Pro 7 and share the video on YouTube? My feeling is that if I can figure out what the best settings are, I can cut my rendering time down significantly. To complicate the matter a little, I also use footage from my Canon VIXIA for all my narrator/voice over clips. I usually import that footage first and then add the B roll from my iPhone when needed. I just don't have time to experiment with all the thousands of settings to see what works. I'm sure someone else has experience with this. Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Workflow from iphone through FCP 7 to YouTube
on Nov 12, 2013 at 5:46:03 pm

FCP doesn't like, doesn't work well with, the format your phone shoots. FCP 7 and earlier works best with FCP codecs...ProRes is among them. Yes, the file sizes increase. If the file sizes are too big for your laptop, then get an external drive. You can get a 3TB drive for under $200. That'll hold a LOT of video.

If you want to work with two cameras, then you need to convert both to the same format, ideally ProRes 422 or ProRes LT.

If you want to work natively, then you need to look at other software options, as FCP isn't the only game in town. Heck, FCP-X will work with the files natively...as will Adobe Premiere Pro.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]