FORUMS: list search recent posts

Two Questions - SD to HD Conversion and DVX100 24p Advanced

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John-Paul Palescandolo
Two Questions - SD to HD Conversion and DVX100 24p Advanced
on Nov 12, 2013 at 5:42:24 am

I recently had the 35mm negative from my grad school thesis film re-transferred in HD. However, part of the project was also shot using the 24p Advanced mode of the DVX100. Just to clear up why I used the DVX100, I finished my thesis in 2004.

Anyways, the in-camera matte was used on the DVX100 and the 35mm segment, while shot 4:3, also used a 1.85:1 matte in-camera. Now that everything is 16:9, I'm going to crop the film in post so the black bars from the DVX100 video are eliminated and the video becomes 1.78:1 and I'm also going to crop the 35mm film to 1.78:1, as the difference between that and 1.85:1 is negligible.

Obviously I need to upscale the DVX100 footage to 1080. I'm clear on how to do that using Compressor, but I'm wondering if I should set the Anti-alias and Details Level sliders to anything in particular, since I am upsizing.

My other question is this. The retransfer of the 35mm film was done at 23.98 fps and the DVX100 footage was shot at 24p Advanced. Back when I first edited this in 2004, since the 35mm film was transferred at 29.97 fps, I didn't remove the pulldown from the 24p Advanced footage when I imported it into Final Cut. Now, since the 35mm film was retransferred at 23.98, is there a way to take the original DXV100 sequence from Final Cut, which is at 29.97, and remove the pulldown and make the footage 23.98 without having to reimport and re-edit?

Sorry for any confusion!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Two Questions - SD to HD Conversion and DVX100 24p Advanced
on Nov 12, 2013 at 4:53:05 pm

Well, you've got yourself one big, fat frame rate nightmare.

You need to get everything to the original frame rate, 23.976 (aka 23.98, aka 24p)... and it will take time.

24PA from the Panny DVX 100 camera was invented for the express purpose of removing the pulldown at Log & Capture time, resulting in 23.976 footage. Don't try to capture the whole tape -- pick your individual shots. Blow off this tedious step at your peril... I have five whole American dollars that say you'd have to start over again if you do. DV tape transports are mechanical devices, and you can't count on them to work perfectly each and every time.

Because you blew off the pulldown removal on the 35mm footage, you now have to do it. You may even have to recapture, depending on what's been done to it in the interim.

I feel your pain at reading all this, but it really can't be helped. All the footage has to be at the identical frame rate, and that frame rate is 23.976.

Sorry not to get around to your original questions, but you have problems that are far more fundamental than a mere uprez. Besides: if you're just going to DVD, why do you feel the need to uprez?

Unless, of course, we don't know the full story about the deliverables for this project.....

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John-Paul Palescandolo
on Nov 12, 2013 at 10:40:01 pm

I figured that I'd have to change frame rates and do some re-editing at some point in this process. I just had my 35mm film re-transferred at 1080p, 1.78:1 and 23.976 fps. If I have to recapture footage from the DVX100, then so be it, but I still have all my project files, not to mention the DVX100 footage is still on my hard drive. Because the footage is still on my hard drive, I could still use Cinema Tools to remove the pulldown without having to go back to my original tapes and recapture anything.

What I'm trying to figure out is this. The computer where this project is saved uses Final Cut Studio 2 and there is an option, under the Tools menu, there is an option for Cinema Tools reverse telecine. Will reverse telecine remove the pulldown from my 24p Advanced footage and return it to 23.98 fps?

Or, I could make a second copy of all the 24p Advanced footage, run that thru Cinema Tools, create a new project with i and then up-res so it will fit in the same sequence as the 35mm 1080p footage @ 23.98 fps.

So, on to the up-res question - is Compressor the best way to go, outside of a post-production house? Any good settings for the Anti-Alias or Details Level slider? I found another thread elsewhere where someone said a good starting point is to set Anti-Alias at 20 and Details Level at 60. I ran a test and did that and performed the up-res using Compressor. I set the output frame size to 1920x1080, had all of the resizing and retiming controls set at Best. The clip with Anti-Aliasing and Details set to 0 looks the same as the one where I had each applied.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 13, 2013 at 1:08:08 am

I don't have a straight answer for you about Cinema Tools and Advanced Pulldown removal. If it DOES do it, it might not work properly because there are several different shots in one big, long clip. The pulldown cadence or the timecode could have gotten messed up.

And yes, going with hardware solutions to this are best, but it would be FAR more expensive. You'd have to weigh the depth of your pockets against how good it looks.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John-Paul Palescandolo
on Nov 13, 2013 at 3:27:58 am

Luckily, when I captured my DVX100 footage in 2004, I did log everything and capture each shots as an individual clip. Hopefully, it'll be as easy as just performing a reverse telecine on each clip that I used in my final edit. I did a few tests on different clips, using both Cinema Tools and Compressor and all seems to be working well for now. Of course, since the time codes will be a bit different, I'll have to do a little visual reconstruction as compared to relying solely on time codes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]