FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wonky Final Cut image rotation and out of memory problem.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Liam Billingham
Wonky Final Cut image rotation and out of memory problem.
on Nov 11, 2013 at 8:18:18 pm

Hey gang,

Does anyone know what might be going on here?

Thanks,
Liam

The CFO video was shot on Canon 5Dmkii (Digital Single-Lens Reflex). The .fcp (final cut pro file), along with the scratch disk folder (used to separate and save rendered segments), were started on an external 500GB passport and remained on the same hard drive during the entire period of time.

The 1st and 2nd cuts were then edited on Final Cut Pro 7 (updated), leaving just a few touch ups to be made. One touch up, in particular, was a photo montage that plays throughout the last 10 - 15 seconds of the video clip. when I (the editor of the project) came home. I used my desktop. So, simply put, I took the hard drive and attached it to my desktop instead of my laptop. My desktop operates with Final Cut Pro 6 and has always worked in perfect harmony with any file previous to this one. When I transferred computers, to add the stills for the last montage and to follow my usual routine, I hit a wall during the process.

Each time I would try to render or export (without rendering), I would be hit with an error: out of memory message. I looked up each and every possible solution but to no avail. It seemed as though there was a glitch in the file, and nothing could be done. A few weeks later I tried it again and same thing, then again I tried over and over again to fix the error, again to no avail. I went for lunch and I left the file open in final cut for enough time for the final cut pro feature auto render to kick in, SOMEHOW rendering the impossible stills. I was thrilled to see it had worked for no reason at all, other than the auto render worked randomly. So immediately, I exported and sent to our audio mixer.

It turns out, that during the render that worked out, two of the four pictures in the montage came out rotated 90ยบ and when i found this out I tried to reopen the file and fix it. Again, each time I even would move or change anything in the montage, the error message appeared. So I tried the only thing that worked before, and this time it didn't work. I even turned auto render to every 5 minutes instead of 45.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Wonky Final Cut image rotation and out of memory problem.
on Nov 11, 2013 at 11:02:38 pm

What is the codec of the footage?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Wonky Final Cut image rotation and out of memory problem.
on Nov 12, 2013 at 12:37:20 pm

Can I just add to Dave's question - What size are the images ? Often if you use images over 4000 pixels in any direction that can lead to the out of memory error occurring.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

8 Core MacPro, Kona 3, Tangent Wave, Mackie Universal Symphony 6.5 or MC V 7 with Symphony option. FCP7, Color, Media creation and conversion. Adobe Encore DVD creation and authoring.
i7 2.7 Gig MBP (non retina) 16Gigs Ram Blackmagic Monitor Mini Symphony 6.5 or MC v7 with Symphony option FCP7
7TB raid 5 fibre storage.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]