FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to use Media Manager to archive onto backup disk(s)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Niklas Wikman
Best way to use Media Manager to archive onto backup disk(s)
on Nov 10, 2013 at 8:51:21 pm

We use Scratch disks that resides in RAID1 cabinets.

When a project is done, I'd like to backup only used media onto archive disks, allowing multiple project on one archive disk.

Reading about Media Manager, makes me wonder...
I simply select the Sequences/assets I wish to include in the Browser, before starting MM.

Is there any reason at all NOT using MM, other than simply use "Copy files" ? Sure, it seems to do its job, but the whole point is to slim the footage. But several posts on the net strongly suggest NOT to use that function in MM.

What is your experience with MM? What settings works for you? I did try backing up two projects, but it ended up in problems re-connecting media, and also that FCP crashed, leaving the backup project empty...

Any tips/suggestions greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Best way to use Media Manager to archive onto backup disk(s)
on Nov 11, 2013 at 12:03:12 am

It works great. I archive the sequences to separate drives all the time. I use the COPY method, choosing to only use the footage used in the sequence, with handles. This does tend to get everything, media, audio, pictures. I also unmount the main drive and have only the archived drive online to verify everything copied.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Niklas Wikman
on Nov 11, 2013 at 6:10:56 am

Well, that's pretty much how I try to do it, too. But with varying results.

Here are my settings:

Copy media
Include master clips outside selection
Delete unused media from duplicated items (what does this one do? De-selecting shrinks my copy further).
Use handles (3:00)
Duplicate selected items and place them in a new project

Some projects goes fine, others have issues when re-connecting ("An unknown error occured when re-connecting the media") into the new slimmed project, causing FCP to crash, leaving the copied media on backup disk but an empty project file...

We shoot P2, so all our footage should have a reel name (ie the P2 card name, that is KORT 1, KORT 2, KORT 3 etc but in different offload folders. I have read that some experience trouble if the footage does not have a reel assigned to it. It seems that all assets does come along (stills, audio, graphics, etc).

Any ideas on this?

Return to posts index

Niklas Wikman
on Nov 11, 2013 at 2:36:00 pm

Using the settings in my previous comment, I notice that I have problems with a clip that uses drop zones.
The footage in the drop zones are missing, with no reference to which footage being used.

The template I've used is the built-in "Glass pane open PAL".

Besides that, I think I have it all covered (just as Shane, I unmount the original project disk and opens the new shrinked project file on the backup disk).

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 11, 2013 at 3:52:06 pm

[Niklas Wikman] "Include master clips outside selection"

Don't do that...that means copy media that isn't in the cut.

[Niklas Wikman] "Delete unused media from duplicated items (what does this one do? De-selecting shrinks my copy further)."

This means that all that footage NOT in the cut won't be copied. So if you have a 30 min clip, but only use 10 seconds of it...only that 10 seconds (with 6 extra seconds, 3 second handles on either side) gets copied over. This is why the space is reduced.

[Niklas Wikman] "I notice that I have problems with a clip that uses drop zones.
The footage in the drop zones are missing, with no reference to which footage being used."

Footage used in that way is difficult to track. What I'd do then is make a new sequence with that footage, or put it at the end of the sequence (layered if you have several clips) and then media manage, and then rebuilt the drop zone with that footage.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Niklas Wikman
on Nov 11, 2013 at 4:03:15 pm

Shane Ross wrote: Footage used in that way is difficult to track. What I'd do then is make a new sequence with that footage, or put it at the end of the sequence (layered if you have several clips) and then media manage, and then rebuilt the drop zone with that footage.

I'm not sure how to do this? The Pane Glass PAL is used several times in the sequence. I'd be very glad if you could guide me how to preserve the sequence. (I did try to select the clip, and then right-click on it, selecting Media Manager. But MM tells me there's no footage to deal with?)

I also tried to copy the one of the Glass Pane clip to a new sequence. Sure, all drop zones are there, but the clip itself does not show in the same way on the canvas. The text objects are missing and the clips fills upp the entire canvas, rather than being "floating on black", if you understand what I mean?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]