FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVCHD with FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lara Taylor
AVCHD with FCP7
on Nov 9, 2013 at 7:24:29 pm

Hi there - i wonder if you can help me:

i have to edit some footage (using FCP 7) from a Sony FS700 (Avchd) and I am trying to find out if I will need a special plug in or whether I can simply log and transfer?

Thanks so much
Lara

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: AVCHD with FCP7
on Nov 10, 2013 at 7:28:03 am

Have you tried simply logging and transferring? That should work. If it doesn't, that might mean the full card structure wasn't maintained, or the flavor of AVCHD is too different for FCP to recognize. If L&T doesn't work, then I recommend ClipWrap2.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Lara Taylor
on Nov 10, 2013 at 12:25:18 pm

Thanks Shane
I haven't tried doing anything yet as the camera is not mine and the gig is only happening next week. But I will have to edit, on the day, as they film. The director wants 1 min clips as we shoot in order to put the on You Tube, so I am just trying to make sure that its all compatible before the day...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 10, 2013 at 6:46:15 pm

If you have a fast turnaround, then you need to test. Ask for test footage from the camera and see if it works.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Street
on Nov 10, 2013 at 7:02:18 pm

I own a FS700 and I edit the AVCHD footage in FCP7 … Log & Transfer works fine … you should set the Log & Transfer preferences to convert the footage to ProRes …

Note that it takes a lot longer to ingest AVCHD footage than P2 or SxS stuff … once it has been converted to ProRes, though, the editing is smooth.

I have occasionally had troubles with long clips crashing FCP7 during Log & Transfer … so I don't love this camera for shots that last 30-60min each … but for shorter clips (like short interviews or b-roll) everything works smoothly.

I echo Shane's suggestion to receive some test footage first so you can verify that all your drivers are up to speed before the edit day.

Good luck!

--
John Street
http://www.inpoint.tv
Mac OS 10.7.5, FCS 7.0.3, QT 7.6.6, Mac Pro 2x3GHz Quad-Core, 16GB Ram

Return to posts index

Lara Taylor
on Nov 11, 2013 at 8:12:33 am

Will do - thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>