FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple ProRes to DVD: 2 Part Question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian DiLorenzo
Apple ProRes to DVD: 2 Part Question
on Nov 8, 2013 at 1:35:30 pm

Hello All,

First off, I know this topic has been discussed to death, but I'm looking for fresh ideas, as I've been banging my head against the wall for months now trying to get this DVD encoded properly.

My Canon 5D Mark III footage, which was originally shot 24p and then transcoded to Apple ProRes 422 HQ 24p, somehow along the way, my Sequence Settings in FCP got changed to Apple ProRes 422 HQ 30p.

I blame myself for this switch but I digress. I've learned to live with this, as it looks OK in FCP.

However, now I'm encoding for DVD and I'm facing 2 problems:

1. Harsh transitions between shots, with what appears to be dead frames or gaps I can't get rid of.

2. Slight interlacing issues, like when the camera is stationary, and a character is moving their head from side to side, a "ghost" or "fade" in their head movement follows them.

My biggest wondering is the best way to export, since I'm encoding for DVD, should I de-interlace before I leave FCP or just set it to a compression in Compressor?

I am playing with the field dominances now and trying to make them consistent. Changing everything to "lower field first" didn't help, so I'm going to try Upper Field next.

Also, I've gotten advice on experimenting with the GOP, as it might help smooth transitions? Any extra insight into my particular situation would help.

Sorry for the onslaught of questions- I love Creative Cow and have spent due diligence reading up but I'm at my wits end.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Apple ProRes to DVD: 2 Part Question
on Nov 8, 2013 at 6:15:05 pm

well, what you need to fix is the frame rate of your sequence. You need to make a sequence with the proper settings, copy and paste the old sequence into this new one, and manually fix all the gaps. Final Cut Pro does not mix frame rates well, and that's one of the issues that you are having. Trying to have 23.98 in a 29.97 sequence and have it look right it's not going to work. Because your footage is interlaced but the secrets most likely is, and frames are being added irregularly.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Brian DiLorenzo
on Nov 8, 2013 at 6:35:50 pm

Thanks Shane. Is that in direct cause of the weird DVD encode? Only reason I ask because when played off the QuickTime on my computer it looks fine. I've also had trouble in the past when copying the sequence back over to 24 with rescaling and stretched aspect ratio...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 8, 2013 at 7:23:50 pm

you are making Progressive footage interlaced, so yes that is one cause of doing this. But I don't see how you would have an issue putting the footage in a proper sequence because the aspect ratio and frame size shouldn't change at all. Only the frame rate

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Brian DiLorenzo
on Nov 8, 2013 at 8:13:34 pm

I see your point. I will give that a shot. Honestly, it's ticking me off so bad, I may take the hard road and match-frame my sequence back to the original 24p footage. You think that would solve my problems if copying it into a new sequence doesn't work?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 8, 2013 at 8:25:37 pm

Your sequence has the 24P footage in it. That is the problem, you have 24 fps footage in a 30 fps sequence. matching back won't solve anything. You need to have a 24 fps sequence for your 24 fps footage

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Brian DiLorenzo
on Nov 8, 2013 at 10:09:36 pm

I hear ya Shane. What I was thinking was after giving copying the sequence over to 24p timeline another go, I'd try this as my "plan B."

Make a new 24p sequence. Copy and paste old sequence onto there, which won't scale for some reason. Manually match frame each shot back to my source footage with my master audio track. It sounds a little crazy but I'm just wondering in theory if it would work.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 10, 2013 at 12:16:57 pm

Redo everything in 24p and export to DVD in 24p (which you can do if you add pulldown to it for 60i).

If you do it any other way, you have problems.

Return to posts index

Brian DiLorenzo
on Nov 10, 2013 at 1:27:19 pm

Thanks Gary. I understand now I must recreate my project and sequence settings into 24p. I just don't understand what 60i has to do with it. Are you saying I should export it as 60i when I'm finished remaking my timeline?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]