FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using After Effects to improve text appearance and resolution for an FCP project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Withers
Using After Effects to improve text appearance and resolution for an FCP project
on Nov 8, 2013 at 1:37:09 am

Hi all,
I'm cutting an SD NTSC movie in FCP 5.1, creating intertitles using the FCP text function.
At some point I will want to deinterlace this and convert to HD maybe 720p.
Maybe I'll switch to FCP 7 to get some more flexibility with the export.
I've heard that titles might look better if created in AE.
Is this true?

Should I recreate them in AE and drop into the FCP timeline before transcoding? After?
I may want to save this as FCP project as a Quicktime file and import into Premiere cause this could be part of a larger PPro project. Should I wait and recut/replace the titles in PPro? That seems like more work. Would it offer any benefits?
I'm cross-posting this to the FCP and AE lists cause I don't know how different the memberships are.
Thanks for any thoughts,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Using After Effects to improve text appearance and resolution for an FCP project
on Nov 8, 2013 at 2:53:26 am

I would use AE to convert from SD to HD and then put the titles on the HD version in Pr or AE.

Using AE or Adobe Media Encoder will do a better scaling than FCP 7.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Using After Effects to improve text appearance and resolution for an FCP project
on Nov 9, 2013 at 2:49:10 am

Deinterlace and upres? You'll want to run tests to see how it looks before you do the entire thing for real.

It's something of a trade-off: if you deinterlace, the motion will look like progressive-scan 29.97: it's more like a film frame-rate look. If you want to retain the smoother motion inherent in the interlaced scan, the upres to 720p 59.94 would work, but the resolution of the image won't be the best.

Not to mention you might want to re-frame the shots for 16x9.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]