FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to set timeline display to HH:MM:SS:FF?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vic Noseworthy
How to set timeline display to HH:MM:SS:FF?
on Nov 7, 2013 at 3:13:37 pm

Hi, folks.
I recently trashed the Preferences in FCP7. Now, I no longer get the timeline display in Hours, Minutes, Seconds, and Frames, as I did before. I checked the manual, and it says to control click in the Timeline display and select the desired option. I selected HH:MM:SS:FF, but it doesn't change in the actual timeline; I'm still getting Timecode. Is there something I'm missing?
Thanks,
Vic

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: How to set timeline display to HH:MM:SS:FF?
on Nov 7, 2013 at 4:23:40 pm

[Vic Noseworthy] "I selected HH:MM:SS:FF, but it doesn't change in the actual timeline; I'm still getting Timecode. Is there something I'm missing?"

Uhm...timecode is displayed in HH:MM:SS:FF. 01:10:45:23. Hour 1, 10 min, 45 sec, 23 frames.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Vic Noseworthy
on Nov 7, 2013 at 7:43:59 pm

Thanks, Shane. I'm completely unfamiliar with time code. I didn't realize that. I did manage to figure it out, and I now have the HH:MM:SS:FF that I wanted. Though, I did have to manually set the start time for the sequence at 00:00:00:00. For some reason, the default gave me sequences that start with 01:00:00:00
Not sure why. I'm pretty new to FCP7, coming from FCE4.
Many, more complicated settings in FCP7.
Thanks again.
Vic

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 7, 2013 at 8:00:27 pm

[Vic Noseworthy] "Though, I did have to manually set the start time for the sequence at 00:00:00:00. For some reason, the default gave me sequences that start with 01:00:00:00"

Uh...don't do that. The American standard is to start the projects at Hour 1. Because we have lots of stuff that goes BEFORE that...bars & tone, a slate...black. And you can't have that start before 00:00:00:00. So the default is 1:00:00;00.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 7, 2013 at 9:15:34 pm

Shane, Vic may not recognize that because for things like spot production, more and more there IS no such thing as bars, tone, slate, OR countdown before the spot: the modern, server-based world more and more asks for fils with ONLY the actual video itself from frame one to first black, and *nothing else*.

What you say about leaving a margin for those things still does still apply to broadcast programming.

But I have to wonder; for how much longer?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 7, 2013 at 9:16:54 pm

Slates will always be there, IMHO. Need to put a lot of info on the file if we don't have a tape to label...

:)

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 7, 2013 at 10:56:05 pm

Maybe, and I'm not trying to be argumentative, but some places taking spots already reject any that include any of that. Really, isn't this what metadata is for now? And I know from observation, there are people sending stuff all the time with bars on the front that have little to do with the actual program levels. My old man rant has always been that unless you shot a color bar chart thru the lens of the camera that shot everything else, any resemblance to proper signal on the REST of the thing is mostly coincidence.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 7, 2013 at 11:44:13 pm

True...I do know that many TV spots are delivered without those things. I have delivered such things myself, but with 2-5 frames of black at the beginning, so they fade in or something. But those were targetted for stage presentations.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Vic Noseworthy
on Nov 7, 2013 at 11:23:04 pm

As I mentioned, I've not done anything for broadcast. Only the web, and for DVD.
At least, now, I know why the time code starts at one hour. :^)
Always learning!
Thanks,
Vic

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]