FORUMS: list search recent posts

inexplicable artifacts inFCP 7 exports

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Holmes
inexplicable artifacts inFCP 7 exports
on Nov 7, 2013 at 3:51:02 am

Hi all,
I've got this thing to edit. Was hoping to do it quickly - shoot one take and export it but wound up having to use multiple takes. The lights were moved from take to take so that I had to do color grading in FCP 7. Some of the backgrounds are significantly lighter than they were before.
When I export I get strange, hieroglyph-looking artifacts in some of the white spaces in *some* of the shots. Maybe 5 % of them.
I have messed with processing maximum white and with motion-filtering quality in the sequence settings.
I don't even know how to describe what I'm seeing so I've posted some pictures
6767_screengrabs.jpg.zip

My workflow:

Canon t1i
>H.264, 1280 x 720
>Final Cut Pro 7.0
sequence settings:
1280 X 720 HDTV 720p (16:9)
Pixel Aspect Ratio HD (960 X 720)
Editing Timebase: 30
Apple ProRes 422(HQ)
>(add filters)
>export settings:
ProRes 422(HQ) at different sizes/ratios

Can anyone tell me what I must do to eliminate this distracting noise? By the way there is a brightness/contrast filter on the shots. The noise in the exports actually seems to get worse as the brightness decreases.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: inexplicable artifacts inFCP 7 exports
on Nov 7, 2013 at 5:11:02 am

Not edit H.264. FCP doesn't like it, and the issues that pop up are random and unpredictable. You need to convert H.264 to ProRes to edit...especially if you do ANY color correction.

The quick fix for exporting a file is to set the sequence setting to ProRes, but that is a band aid approach, and doesn't always work. You need to convert your footage.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Holmes
Re: inexplicable artifacts inFCP 7 exports
on Nov 7, 2013 at 4:22:36 pm

Whoops, I'm sorry! I have been working on this for so long and been through so many steps -- Of course I should have mentioned that I did indeed convert the H.264 footage to ProRes and then edited it in ProRes sequences. What could be causing this mess??

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]