FORUMS: list search recent posts

Copied Quicktimes are distorted or corrupted

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabriel Rhodes
Copied Quicktimes are distorted or corrupted
on Nov 5, 2013 at 10:42:46 pm

We are experiencing something I've never seen in 15 years of editing and I'm hoping someone out there has some suggestions for a solution.
My assistant is transcoding our MXF files to Prores 422 on her system. The files are being transcoded directly to a mini-G Tech drive and brought to me. I am then copying the files to external WD drives on my system.
The QT's play fine from the G Tech shuttle drives. But I've started to notice that the files, once copied to my system, are a complete mess. There is digital distortion all over the files - everything from video hits to loud bursts of audio hiss.
At first I thought it was a read/write error in the copying process, so I started using Carbon Copy Cloner to move the files from the G Tech to the Western Digital Drives. I thought that solved the problem, but I was wrong. It still exists.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what's going on?
Thoroughly confused,
Gabe

Return to posts index

Samuel Enblom
Re: Copied Quicktimes are distorted or corrupted
on Nov 6, 2013 at 9:54:50 am

Im experiencing a similar problem right now. The editor that was on this project before me has copied a lot of .mov files that have become corrupted. They all have in common is that they got corrupted on my external WD 3 TB drive and they were all shot with Canon 5D mk 2 or 3.

I havent found any audio bursts but I have found the video unplayable in anything besides VLC. I can see frame by frame in premiere but still not playable.

The only solution that (at least temporarily) works for me is to copy from one of my back-up drives and hit "replace". I'm sorry I dont have any more convenient solution for you, but if anyone finds anything I will be interested to also hear so!

Best of luck!
Samuel

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 6, 2013 at 2:53:30 pm

Did you two upgrade the OS to Mavericks? WD is telling users that Mavericks is creating some problems on those drives, mostly having to do with software WD included.

Return to posts index

Gabriel Rhodes
on Nov 6, 2013 at 3:09:23 pm

I did upgrade recently but this problem was happening long before I upgraded.

Return to posts index

Samuel Enblom
on Dec 5, 2013 at 4:58:27 pm

I have not upgraded on this machine. So its not related to that!

Return to posts index

Gabriel Rhodes
on Dec 5, 2013 at 5:05:31 pm

After experiencing this problem for way too long, I finally took my CPU to the shop and they tested the video card and found that it's failing. So I upgraded the card and much to my dismay, the problem persists. My assistant experienced a similar issue in the past on another project and he recommended that we wipe all the drives and start over. His theory is that there is an infectious corruption on one of the drives. So that's what we're doing. We're re-transcodding everything and placing them on re-formatted drives. I hope it works!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]