FORUMS: list search recent posts

QT files, Audio with No Vid. and Green in FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vincent Strader
QT files, Audio with No Vid. and Green in FCP7
on Nov 5, 2013 at 8:26:45 pm

Quick Time files all the sudden will not dsplay video, but will display audio.

.mov files I've captured from DV and HDV tapes play just fine.

.mov files I've captured with an HDV SD card are all blank, but the audio is there.

When I drop those files in an FCP7 time line it displays a muted color green screen.

These same files were playing perfectly last week.

One of our drives crashed, and we replaced it with a new OSX. But why are some .MOV files playing and others aren't now?

It seems this is a common problem when I read this thread going as far back to 2005, to today
http://www.moviecodec.com/encoding/mov-files-can-play-audio-but-theres-no-p...

Any help from the CreativeCow experts would be most appreciated

When I click Play with QT7 that also does not help. Audios there, no picture.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: QT files, Audio with No Vid. and Green in FCP7
on Nov 5, 2013 at 10:36:01 pm

Um, WHAT new operating system? Didn't you stick with the one that workEd for you in the past?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Nov 5, 2013 at 11:14:03 pm

Try reincoding, for example with Episode, or try mpeg streamclip,

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Nov 6, 2013 at 3:33:24 pm

Were you using a plugin for XDCAM? Maybe it was corrupted.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.9, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Vincent Strader
on Nov 6, 2013 at 4:11:40 pm

Still using the same system. Still using the same camera. The media drive just failed, poof, no more. We have a new media drive installed. And a new drive that had a new OX installed. The OS is still 10.6.8

As far as the company knows, they did not add or subtract any codecs.

Camera I'm using was built for Apple, the JVC GY-HM100U

.mov files I captured from the DV deck appear and are audible.

.mov files I dragged off my SD cards from the camera are audible, just not visible.

No matter what codec the files are. There were some existing ones on the good drives, and some new ones I drug off recent SD cards we recorded on.

Vinnie

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Nov 6, 2013 at 4:35:45 pm

We use XDcam transfer for the files to import as mov

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

David Fortin
on Nov 6, 2013 at 9:29:17 pm

The same thing happened to me this week. I was out of the office for 2 months, and when I came back I wasn't thinking too clearly, and did a software update. In the back of my mind, I thought, "I have the system on Time Machine, so I can just restore the old operating system and applications back to the way it was if this doesn't work." But, unfortunately, I found out, it doesn't work that way.

It think it is the codec that's the problem. Either that or QuickTime. Because on my system, all applications, QuickTime, FCP 7.03, XDCAM clip browser, do not work with the movies with the XDCAM EX codec. But QuickTime and FCP work fine with other codecs.

I've tried a few things, but haven't solved it. I think, re-installing my MAC OS would take care of it. But I'd have to install all my other software too. And I wonder if some of the software updates, like FCP 7.0 to 7.03 are available now, since Apple isn't supporting FCP 7.

If you figure it out, make sure you post it. I'll do the same.

Return to posts index

W. Lawrence Stevens
on Nov 6, 2013 at 11:24:28 pm

I posted about this problem last week. I think we noticed it first.

After extensive trial and error, we managed to solve the problem. It is definitely the ProApps update. We couldn't update our OS and didn't have a full clone backup. We started by creating a drive with a clean OS 10.6.8. None of the XDCam files would play without the Sony Codecs. We then downloaded the latest Sony XDCam FCP "Log & Transfer" application which comes embedded with all the working XDCam Codecs.

Unfortunately, that software would not install without a running version of FCP so we did a fresh install of FCP 6.3 (I think). Once that was updated to 6.8, the XDCam Log & Transfer could install and we were able to again see XDCam QuickTime files. YES. Unfortunately, most of our FCP project files were created with FCP 7.03 and now wouldn't open. We no longer had the update disks to go from 6.8 to 7.03! Ouch.

Out of sheer frustration, I went back to the old drive, did a fresh install of the XDCam Log & Transfer and also, just out of curiosity, I replaced all the files in the Library/QuickTime folder with the same files from the fresh install disk we had just assembled that was able to play the XDCam QT files. Guess what? It worked!

I am not certain whether it was the fresh install of Log & Transfer or the replacement of the older files in the QuickTime folder that might have been tainted by the ProApps update, but who cares. We are up and running again.

PMW-350
EX1-R
Nikon D4
(wlstevens.com)

Return to posts index

Vincent Strader
on Nov 7, 2013 at 3:30:15 pm

Great answers. I'll give all that a try. Just out of curiosity I tried coping some components from my iMac in one office to the Mac Pro in the other office that's experiencing the trouble. The component files would not attach an email, or be dragged to an external drive, and I couldn't even get them to upload to a google drive. Then I thought, "Woops, I'm doing something bad…or am I?"

Vinnie
---
24, LOST, Prison Break, FRINGE, Supernatural, DEXTER, Breaking Bad, CHUCK, Flash Forward, HEROES...even SMALLVILLE in the latter seasons.. they've all ruined my movie going experience by being better than so many movies out today.

Return to posts index

David Fortin
on Nov 7, 2013 at 10:29:26 pm

1,000 Thanks. You are a life saver.

I followed your instructions and it worked. I installed MAC OS X 10.6.8 on an External HD. Then I installed FCP. QuickTime 7.6.6 And installed Log & Transfer.

I then went back to my old internal HD and reinstalled the Log and Transfer Plug-in for Apple Final Cut Pro 7 (FCP7) ver 1.2

For good measure, as you suggested, I replaced the Library/QuickTime files from the new install, onto the old internal HD install.

And I am up and running.

I appreciate you taking the time to re-post your advice. I wasn't looking forward to trying to find then re-installing ALL of my software applications.

Thanks again.

David

Return to posts index

Steve Loomis
on Nov 18, 2013 at 2:18:49 pm

I have been looking for a solution to the green screen with audio problem as above. I did a clean install of Lion then FCP 7. Updated everything. No Joy, green screen. After reading above I then looked in my install disk for FCP 7 and located the codecs and compared. I tried to reinstall from the install disk and got the message that I could not replace newer files or something like that. I looked in the Library/Quicktime folder and the dates were NOT newer but the file sizes were smaller on the HDV codec, the one my JVC HM100U uses. I copied the old file to a safe place, trashed the file in the quicktime folder and replaced it with the one from the FCP 7 install disk. Now I have video and audio. I changed out a few other codec's just in case. I am now thinking I may just completely remove FCP from my new drive, reinstall, copy the Library/Quicktime folder then update and check again to see if the update kills the codec's. I can then replace all codec's with the "as installed" codecs and hopefully be OK.

I am not sure if Apple is trying to discourage use of FCP7 or just made a mistake. Hard to tell. I won't be doing any more updates once this is all working and a clone drive is made.

Return to posts index

Ekin Tug
on Dec 5, 2013 at 3:48:34 pm

Thank you very very much. Had the same problem and the same size difference in Quicktime folders.
It is all gone

Thanks a lot...

Return to posts index

Bijoyini Chatterjee
on Dec 19, 2013 at 11:58:30 pm

Hi,

I am facing the exact same problem as in the original post on this thread.

After doing a fresh OS install on my iMac (2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM, Mac OSX 10.6.8) and installing FCP 7.0.3, I can't seem to get my xdcam clips to work. (They are working on my MacBook Pro laptops with similar configurations).

I see the green screen in FCP as mentioned earlier in this thread.

I tried to follow your instructions but I don't have a Quicktime folder in Library (Library/Quicktime)
(Yes I do have the Quicktime program installed)
My version of XDCAM Transfer is 2.13.0 and I have also installed the Log and Transfer plug-in.

Please -- any and all help will be greatly appreciated. I really need to get the computer up and running to start editing and can't seem to figure out what to you.

Thanks a lot,

Return to posts index

Troy Smith
on Jan 10, 2014 at 7:30:25 pm

Yes, I too have the same problem and cannot find a Library/quicktime folder. I am at teh very end of a feature film and don't know what happened. Please help. I can't find any ProRess files to check with. This is really frustrating and scary. Also, my copy of FCP 7 was stolen from my classroom, so I can't simply reinstall FCP.

Troy Smith
Imminent Entertainment LLC
Education for the Arts
Vicksburg High School

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]