FORUMS: list search recent posts

Feature edited in 264 FCP 7 - crashing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
becky balsano
Feature edited in 264 FCP 7 - crashing
on Nov 3, 2013 at 6:15:23 pm

On horrible advise, I did not convert my 264 to pro res at the beginning of my project. A full feature has
indeed been edited in 264. I'm an idiot, I know. That aside... the render files are now up to 94 gigs -
which I am suspecting is one of the reasons that after a year of editing and moments away from making
a final DVD to get off to festivals - FCP has started to crash when I attempt to add anything to the
timeline. Also, the "out of memory" has started to appear.

My question is this. If I delete the 94 gigs of render files in render manager and free up that space - how do I go about re-rendering the project in terms of settings.
My Sequence setting is at Pro res right now and the render tab is set to same as codec - which is actually - 264. If I re-render all of it in order to get rid of the 94 gigs - what do I set the sequence setting at and the render tab at? Is this 94 gigs actually from when I compressed to QT movie? Will it take another 94 gigs to render? I'm not very smart here. I had no idea what I was getting myself into and unfortunately I listened to the wrong advise (although a couple people offered the right advise)
Can someone out here help me?

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
Re: Feature edited in 264 FCP 7 - crashing
on Nov 4, 2013 at 12:39:31 am

Oh man,

there is little you can do. As you said in the first place: Forgot to transcode to ProRes.
If you transcode through Mpeg streamclip you loose the timecode - so you can't relink the files again. If you find a way of transcode the clips without loosing the timecode and obviously using the same clip names - then you can just offline the clips, relink them with the new ones - and your work is saved. Perhaps Episode will do it, but I haven't tried. I always converted in the first place,

good luck,

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Nov 4, 2013 at 12:42:34 am

You can probably use a different editing system. I think MC6 (I know, that MC6 can deal with H264 natively) will do the job, perhaps Premiere. With Premiere you can go through XML, with Avid you need a conversion software for XML,

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

becky balsano
on Nov 4, 2013 at 1:42:49 am

Thanks for the tips Rainer! At this point I will have to find a way to finish the film in FCP. My thinking is to delete the 94 gigs of render and let it re-render when I export it as a QT movie.
Shane, from this community has helped tremendously to get it to DVD with it being 264 -
by exporting it as compressor pro res - and with render set as pro res -
My question really is can I delete the 94 gigs of render as I think this is what is causing my program to
crash - and then let it re-render in QT export? Just have to get it to stop crashing long enough to
add a couple more clips. It's fine as long as I don't open any new clips out of the bin. I can work in
timeline, add music. I think it must be the large render file.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 4, 2013 at 2:39:33 am

[becky balsano] "My question really is can I delete the 94 gigs of render"
Yes, you can.
In fact would be a good idea even if FC was behaving properly.

rafael

Return to posts index

becky balsano
on Nov 4, 2013 at 2:42:58 am

Thank you for your message - I'm actually sitting here waiting for an answer.
The render files are on a project I'm still on though. Will this be okay -
and do you know if this large file was caused by export to QT -
as it was 264 being changed to pro res?
to pro res? Do you think this is what could be crashing my FCP?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 4, 2013 at 5:47:14 am

[Rainer Wirth] " I think MC6 (I know, that MC6 can deal with H264 natively) will do the job"

No. Avid doesn't like native H.264 any more than FCP 7. Gotta transcode. Premiere deals with it natively fine.

My quick fix is to delete your renders and change the sequence setting from H.264 to ProRes...and re-render. If that doesn't solve it, you can try to Media Manage the cut transcoding to ProRes. If THAT doesn't do it...then you have a lot of work of transcoding the original and over-cutting your film.

Smack the people who gave you this bad advice on the back of the head.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

becky balsano
on Nov 4, 2013 at 6:14:01 pm

Thank you Shane! I will put the sequence setting render
tab to pro res and let it re-render.
Do you think that this is a probable cause for the sudden crashing?
Also noticing some strange audio issues have arisen. Oh goody.

So close and yet so far away.

There will definitely be a "back of the head smacking" event scheduled in the near future.
Unreal.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 4, 2013 at 6:22:11 pm

[becky balsano] "Do you think that this is a probable cause for the sudden crashing?"

No...you using H.264 is the cause of the crashing. Why now? Because it's unpredictable. The effects of what happens are random as well as the timing of when they happen.

Seriously...smack those people who gave you the wrong advice. Or let me.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

becky balsano
on Nov 4, 2013 at 7:12:17 pm

Yes - unpredictable. Seeing that clearly at work now.

One more question then. There is a chance that I can finish what I need to on the
timeline without having to add any addition footage other than credits which FCP has no
trouble with.

Because I had success with your help - getting the film into QT, compressor and DVD pro properly -
do you think it would be wise to take what I have here and let it render doing that process again.
before removing the render files.

My concern now is that I won't even get this version of the film into QT
if it goes into shock after removing the render files
and re-rendering.

If I can get it into QT, Compressor and onto a DVD -
I might at least have a possible product to send out to festivals.
Of course there is no telling if FCP will be able to handle that process again with the
dreaded H.264 in it. Also that will ramp the render files up past the already ridiculous
94 gigs. Just a thought. Desperation speaks.

I will invite you to the head smacking party.

Thanks again for your help.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 4, 2013 at 7:18:15 pm

Well, right now you can't do anything, because you are crashing with OUT OF MEMORY errors and the like. It's not working. So yes, doing something to try to get it working again is suggested.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

becky balsano
on Nov 4, 2013 at 7:26:22 pm

Thanks so much for your help Shane.
Will plug away.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved