FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bizarre import issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffrey Wells
Bizarre import issue
on Nov 3, 2013 at 2:17:56 am

Bizarre to me, maybe (hopefully) not to folks in this forum.

I have a set of video files created by a DVR fed by a set of surveillance cams. The DVR writes H.264 files. The software from the DVR's maker, installed on a Windows 7 instance, includes a tool to convert these H.264 files to AVI using I don't know what algorithm.

I created a set of files the other day (Halloween) and can play them all just fine on the DVR. I can download them to the Windows machine and convert them to AVI, and all the AVIs play just fine in Windows Media. I have moved the AVIs to my server and accessed them with my Mac, and the Mac plays them just fine in QuickTime and with the Finder's built-in video player (playing the thumbnails in the directory).

However, one particular file seems to have something wrong with it that only Final Cut Pro X can detect. When I choose to "Import Media" and look at the file list in FCP this particular file shows a duration with the nonsensical value of "00:37:24:19809". When I try to import it it never converts - the background "Analyzing/Transcoding" task just sticks at 0% eating up my CPU and never finishes. After a while it locks up and I have to kill FCP. I've tried re-downloading the H.264 from my DVR, tried re-converting it to AVI, tried moving new copies onto my server - nothing seems to fix this issue, and the only tool I have that seems to *have* an issue is FCP. I've wasted hours on this and it's driving me nuts.

All the other files (all 11 of them) from this set import just fine into FCP and show no issues whatsoever. Their durations look "normal".

Any ideas on how I can get around or fix this bizarre problem?

Thanks in advance,

J.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Bizarre import issue
on Nov 3, 2013 at 4:07:34 am

Open the file with QT and "Save as..".
This will rewrap the A/V contents as QT movie without reprocessing.
rafael

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Wells
on Nov 3, 2013 at 4:50:18 am

Thank you for the response.

Forgive me for being a newb, but... I don't have, nor can I find on the App Store, the Quicktime program I assumed you meant. I have QT Player, but it does not allow "Save as..." I remember QT Pro from a while back, but I can't find it on the App Store.

I'm running OS/X 10.8.5 on a Mac Pro.

J.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 3, 2013 at 5:44:47 am

You can get QT.7 from previous MacOsX DVDs (Leopard, Snow Leopard..).
You can also do it with MPGStreamclip. Is free.
rafael

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Wells
on Nov 3, 2013 at 6:58:46 am

I've been playing with MPEGStreamclip, but I can't seem to find settings that don't turn this 170MB AVI into a 10GB file.

I have a number of previous DVDs including Snow Leopard... is it pretty self-explanatory?

Thanks again for the help.

J.

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Wells
on Nov 3, 2013 at 7:13:59 am

OK - installed QT7 off Snow Leopard disk and used it as you said - and it's FIXED - and it did not change it into a gazillabyte file. WOOT.

Thanks a ton!

J.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 3, 2013 at 10:41:02 am

[Jeffrey Wells] "I've been playing with MPEGStreamclip, but I can't seem to find settings that don't turn this 170MB AVI into a 10GB file."

"SAVE AS..." is the function.
This changes the AVI container for a QT container, keeping the whole original video and audio information (codec included). There is not any kind of processing, so the stuff can not change in file size, quality, or whatever.

In MPGSTREAMCLIP "File" menu, you have the "Save as.." function and with a few option: MOV, MP4, AVI and DV.
Use MOV.
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]