FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: exporting to Apple Pro Res HQ from FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bjorn Aunet
on Oct 31, 2013 at 3:40:05 am

Hi there,
I'm having issues exporting my "DVCPRO 720" timeline into a Apple Pro Res HQ format. It doesn't look like my version of FCP has this codec available.

My question,
Is how can I get my timeline into this format?

Hope to hear my options soon and thank you for the help!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 31, 2013 at 5:49:56 am

[Bjorn Aunet] " It doesn't look like my version of FCP has this codec available. "
Which FC version do you have?
Prores was first implemented in FCS2. So if you are in fc 6/7 you should have it available.
If not, reinstal or run Software Update.
rafael

Return to posts index

Bjorn Aunet
on Oct 31, 2013 at 6:22:41 am

Hey thanks for the reply!
Unfortunately I have the first issue of FCP from 2005. I've since sold that copy, seeing how it's on the computer already. If I run a software update, will that effect any existing projects? If not, where would I go to do this?

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Bjorn Aunet
on Oct 31, 2013 at 6:51:20 am

Hey thanks for the reply!
Unfortunately I have the first issue of FCP from 2005. I've since sold that copy, seeing how it's on the computer already. If I run a software update, will that effect any existing projects? If not, where would I go to do this?

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 31, 2013 at 7:23:40 am

You must mean Final Cut Studio 1...which has FCP 5, or 5.1. Sorry, ProRes HQ was introduced with FCP 6...part of Studio 2. That is a version you need to buy...there is no free update that will get you there. Since that version is 6 years old, the only place to get it is ebay or craigslist....used.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bjorn Aunet
on Oct 31, 2013 at 7:48:05 am

Ok thanks for the info.

I guess the only question I have is, if I were to export it as H.264 and then converted it into a pro res file, would that work, or would I lose quality?

Are there any other suggestions you might have, to get it into a Pro Res Format? The reason I ask, is because it needs to be uploaded to iTunes.

Thanks!

-Bjorn

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 31, 2013 at 12:14:40 pm

[Bjorn Aunet] "I guess the only question I have is, if I were to export it as H.264 and then converted it into a pro res file, would that work, or would I lose quality? "
If you export a High Profile H264 (422, 10b), intraframe and with almost no compresion, you would lose no quality. however you can not export that kind of H264 with QT/FC.
And even being possible, in the end you will need FCP 6/7 to make the Prores conversion.
No way to convert to Prores without FC 6 or 7 installed.
Rafael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 31, 2013 at 1:04:03 pm

Why compress it and then compress it again? Export as DVCPRO HD 720p, and then convert that. Although not sure how you are going to do that...you need Final Cut Studio 2 or higher to have the ProRes codec. Unless you take the exported file to someone who has that version.

Don't export it as H.264.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bjorn Aunet
on Oct 31, 2013 at 7:56:59 am

Ok thanks for the info.

I guess the only question I have is, if I were to export it as H.264 and then converted it into a pro res file, would that work, or would I lose quality?

Are there any other suggestions you might have, to get it into a Pro Res Format? The reason I ask, is because it needs to be uploaded to iTunes.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Nov 1, 2013 at 1:15:22 am

Export it as its current format into a self-contained movie, then quit FCP, then use 3rd party software (Apple's Compressor or MPEG Streamclip etc.) to convert to h264.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]