FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 Tapeless Offline/Online Problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Serena Armitage
FCP7 Tapeless Offline/Online Problem
on Oct 28, 2013 at 8:00:01 pm

Hi, I'm having some trouble trying to online my project.

I followed the tutorial for Tapeless Offline/Online workflow, it all went fine. But now that I've come to try and online the footage to go from ProRes Proxy to 422 HQ it isn't finding some of the files.

Some of the problems I think I know why.. a few of the files that had external sound had to be synced with PluralEyes 3 because they were a mess, and some of the stuff shot on a Canon 7D at 50fps I conformed to 50fps in cineform.

But I'm not really sure what the best way to resolve those issues is at this point. Do I need to just manually pick out the clips and prores the entire clip and replace them on the timeline myself?

But there are some files which just aren't being picked up, when doing Batch Capture, the Log & Transfer tool isn't recognising some volumes.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP7 Tapeless Offline/Online Problem
on Oct 28, 2013 at 8:54:48 pm

[Serena Armitage] "a few of the files that had external sound had to be synced with PluralEyes 3 because they were a mess,"

That shouldn't be an issue. You won't be replacing the audio...only the video. Are you saying that most work, except for the ones you used Pluraleyes on and conformed?

[Serena Armitage] "and some of the stuff shot on a Canon 7D at 50fps I conformed to 50fps in cineform."

From 50fps to 50fps? You mean, 25fps...with Cinema Tools? If you change the frame rate of the proxy footage, then it won't link back to the masters. That footage you will have to manually reimport.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Serena Armitage
on Oct 28, 2013 at 10:39:41 pm

Sorry yes, I meant to say 50fps to 25fps and Cinema Tools rather than cineform.

The project has ended up a bit of a mess I'm not entirely sure what's happened. From reading other threads here it seems that because some of the folders have been reorganised / renamed that Final Cut won't recognise them and can't be pointed to them. Unfortunately I don't remember the exact paths at the time of the Log and Transfer to try and get them back.

So for the online sequence, about 50% of the clips have successfully been linked. The pluraleyes, 50fps originated and the ones from renamed folders haven't. There was also one card from an XF305 that was missing the index.mif file so couldn't be brought in via Log & Transfer, so I brought in the native MXF file - but that isn't linked in the online. Some Super8 stuff which was telecined to ProRes HQ and dragged into the bin manually has been linked fine though.

I'm not really sure what the best way is for me to relink everything. Do I need to convert all the master files into ProRes 422 in MPEGStreamClip, and then relink the clips individually?

I tried a couple of test clips, when trying to relink them both of them gave the error

"Some attributes of one or more of the files you have chosen do not match the original"

- Media Start and End
- Reel

While they relinked on the timeline, they were both set to the start of the clip and not the correct place.

As for the PluralEyes synced ones, after L&T, I opened the ProRes files in PluralEyes and synced them individually. Thinking about it now Im guessing that's why they won't link in the online, and I should have imported an FCP project into PluralEyes?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 29, 2013 at 1:00:09 am

[Serena Armitage] "Sorry yes, I meant to say 50fps to 25fps and Cinema Tools rather than cineform."

That is a no-no in offline/online workflows. Once you change that, you can't relink. Only solution for this is to reimport the clips used and "over cut," meaning recut into the timeline manually.

[Serena Armitage] "I'm not entirely sure what's happened. From reading other threads here it seems that because some of the folders have been reorganised / renamed that Final Cut won't recognise them and can't be pointed to them."

The original camera masters? That's another no no, if that is what you meant. Once you import the footage, you cannot change the names of the card backups, or really reorganize anything...otherwise FCP cannot find them. Alter the path and that messes things up...especially renaming organization folders. Any organization on that level needs to be done BEFORE you import anything.

[Serena Armitage] "There was also one card from an XF305 that was missing the index.mif file so couldn't be brought in via Log & Transfer, so I brought in the native MXF file - but that isn't linked in the online."

How did you import the MXF to work with it? Use something like Calibrated or Raylight or MXF4MAC to read the original? If you did that, how can it be linked in the offline but not the online? Because it should remain linked...you aren't changing anything.

[Serena Armitage] "Do I need to convert all the master files into ProRes 422 in MPEGStreamClip, and then relink the clips individually?"

Not with MPEG STREAMCLIP...no. That won't bring in the original timecode nor reel number. If you did that the only way you would be able to match the shot is by eye. You might need to resort to reimporting all the footage you can't link via Log and Transfer...and try to use Timecode to find your matching cuts and manually over cut the footage into your sequence. Sucks, but I've had to do this too. More common than you might think.

[Serena Armitage] "As for the PluralEyes synced ones, after L&T, I opened the ProRes files in PluralEyes and synced them individually. Thinking about it now Im guessing that's why they won't link in the online, and I should have imported an FCP project into PluralEyes?"

I've never used Pluraleyes, so I can't say what's going on there, or how to get that right. sorry.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]