FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro XML for Premiere

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Withers
Final Cut Pro XML for Premiere
on Oct 26, 2013 at 4:37:40 pm

Hello all, I have a timeline with a couple hundred clips in retro FCP 5.5 that I'm trimming on a retro MacBook Pro. I'd love to export and finish on PP CC, but can't get the timeline out in a useable form.
This is one of those projects where I imported entire reels into FCP, then used start/stop detection to create subclips, which I've been editing with. It seemed so efficient at the time.
I've tried exporting the timeline using the FCP XML function, using the Automatic Duck, using EDL. What I get are garbled timelines into PPro that see a few of the clips, but seem to repeat/double/edit the master clip instead of the subclips, if they produce anything at all. Unuseable. Oddly, the EDL seems to pull in a few more clips, but still unuseable. I've tried removing subclip limits in FCP, but no improvement.
I wonder if it would help to duplicate each clip as a master clip and make a new timeline?
My plan for moving ahead is to finish the project in FCP, export as a Quicktime movie, and bring it into Premiere for for use with other material.
Only this means I'll have to finish the sound in FCP too, the mix will have to be locked, and I'm getting concerned about text intertitles I'm creating in the FCP timeline, not sure how they'll translate or if I'll need to replace them.
Any ideas about how to liberate this material from FCP in a way I can edit, without losing all the work I've done?
Thanks,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
Re: Final Cut Pro XML for Premiere
on Oct 29, 2013 at 2:50:43 pm

you have to finish in FCP,

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Oct 29, 2013 at 4:53:53 pm

Thanks for your thought, Rainer. That's my current plan. I'll leave issues of converting to HD 720p for a release format on the shelf for now and forge ahead with the editing. I wonder if my FCP text intertitles will hold up through that process. Maybe I'll need to replace them with new text images from AE or some other source later. But I guess I can deal with that when the time comes.

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 31, 2013 at 3:37:13 am

Take your drives to where you can open the project in FCP7. Use Media Manager to create a new timeline with the media in your edit. Tell it to delete unused media and set handles so you get enough sound for the OMF (4 seconds say).

Open the new Media Managed sequence and export an XML 5 from FCP7. Open in Pr.

The idea is to create just the one sequence with new truncated media plus handles. Pr probably can't read old XMLs from 5.5 and Auto Duck may have issues with an old version of FCP.

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Oct 31, 2013 at 5:47:12 am

Thanks, Michael. I'm realizing FCP 5.5 to PPro CC is too big a leap. I will put FCP 7 on my latest Mac while it will still run on Mountain Lion. Transition through FCP 7 sounds like a good idea. Digital software/operating systems are a moving target! Especially when Apple keeps unsupporting them. I sort of miss working in 16mm which you could cut with a splicer or a scissors. But the labs are dying out too. Though I've seen some beautiful films shot on Super 16mm lately.

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Nov 17, 2013 at 11:38:11 pm

OK, I installed FCP7 on a new machine and opened the project I started in FCP5.1

Exporting as XML from FCP 7 and importing into PPro CC almost works except for 2 things:

1. Major: Only half the 30 minute timeline is visible in PPro. PPro shows the clip lengths and edit points, but starting from the halfway point only a 4-5 of 50 remaining clips are visible. A couple are text clips and a couple are video clips. The invisible clips appear with diagonal lines in the timeline, and black in the source and program monitors. Is there anything to make this work?

2. Minor: Text clips that are on the V2 track in FCP show up on the V2 track in PPro but appear as overlays on the PPro program monitor. A video clip on V2 appears as a cut, like it does in FCP. Is there any way to make a text clip on V2 read as a cut to an intertitle, like it does in FCP? In fact, does PPro by default make V2 text clips overlays. Is there a way to change this?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]