FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut 6 and Mavericks

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared Gordon
Final Cut 6 and Mavericks
on Oct 24, 2013 at 4:29:22 pm

Good day. I'm curious if anyone's tried running FCS6 in Mavericks. I haven't upgraded yet, but am holding off to see if I should. Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Final Cut 6 and Mavericks
on Oct 24, 2013 at 6:43:22 pm

FCP 6 won't even install on Mountain Lion. I highly doubt it'll install on Mavericks.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jared Gordon
on Oct 24, 2013 at 6:44:58 pm

Thanks, Shane. I'm not looking to install it. I already have it on my Lion machine. Just checking to see if it'll still work after the upgrade.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 24, 2013 at 8:00:23 pm

Why upgrade? Why mess with a solid working edit system?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jared Gordon
on Oct 24, 2013 at 8:02:02 pm

Mavericks supposedly brings better battery life. If I can have working FCS6 and better battery life, I'd like to at least consider the opportunity.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 24, 2013 at 10:36:18 pm

I wouldn't risk it. That's 6 year old software that has been discontinued, so Apple isn't taking any consideration for it when making new OS releases. It's only looking at FCX.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jared Gordon
on Oct 25, 2013 at 12:20:16 am

Quite so. I'm curious, all the same.

Return to posts index

Philip Stillman
on Oct 25, 2013 at 3:08:53 am

I advise against changing anything as well. The way that Mavericks "saves" or "extends" battery life is by putting applications "to sleep" when not "on screen" - editing apps. have to be "exempted" thru Get Info... The only way to install it would be to download rosetta -- but even then. Why? These latest OS builds are meant for 64 bit apps. only. I haven't jumped straight onto a new Mac OS ever. I wait until after the inevitable updates that come during the following year. But that is me.
(If you do it, please be sure to post back here with the results?)

Return to posts index

Jared Gordon
on Oct 25, 2013 at 6:56:47 pm

I'll wait to see if anyone else tries it. Thanks for the tips.

Return to posts index

Hai Nguyen Dinh
on Aug 16, 2014 at 10:27:48 am

I read on the internet that Mavericks had blocked Final Cut 5, which is the only one I own, but when getting a new computer I had to try it. And to my surprise, after migrating my old Snow Leopard settings into Mavericks, FC5 would load without problem. I didn't even have to re-serial it.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 27, 2013 at 2:59:36 am

Clone your drive to external drive and try it on external drive.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Steve McGarrigle
Re: Final Cut 6 and Mavericks - FCP6 works!
on Oct 26, 2013 at 10:27:05 am

Hi Shane,

I have just updated my ageing 2009 Mac Book Pro to Mavericks.
As it goes i have an old install of Final Cut Studio 2 on there.
I am pleased to tell you that FCP6 does in fact work fine although some of the plug ins did not.
After updating and on first launching the application it would hang while attempting to load Boris Continuum Shaders making it then "Quit Suddenly" while still on the loading splash screen.
After uninstalling BCS plug ins however it all now works fine.
I haven't tested it thoroughly as i don't really use it anymore, however just for you and in the name of science i opened up a pre existing project, made a new sequence, set in and out points on some footage, dragged it to the timeline. Bladed it, trimmed it, added a cross dissolve, rendered some colour correction and exported a ProRes 422 Quicktime successfully, all of which is fairly conclusive i would say.

There you go!

Steve.

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
Re: Final Cut 6 and Mavericks - FCP6 works!
on Oct 29, 2013 at 1:13:50 am

Thanks for starting this post, Jared, and Steve for responding as you did. My experience has been that if 7 works, so does 6. The only issue is installing 6, for which you need Rosetta. But when my G5 died, and my only other machine was a 2011 Macbook Air, people here said it wouldn't work. You can't edit on a Macbook Air, that's crazy! But guess what, I installed on my Air and kept on cutting. Then Mountain Lion came out and people said don't upgrade. It won't work. I proved them wrong once again. Now I'm cutting with a rMBP. I'm still not interested in FCP X. And even Apple wouldn't sell me an upgrade to vs 7 - only the full $1000 discs. So I bought SL for the sake of Rosetta, and in a couple weeks time, will test it out on my wife's laptop which is now running Mavericks and report back here. But I'm optimistic. I've already read on other forums that it performs just fine. Till then, I'll be following this thread.

Return to posts index

Radim Palus
on Nov 4, 2013 at 12:24:11 pm

Hi,

I also upgraded to 10.9 and FCP6 seems to be working fine up to now. It's a pitty that there is still the image tearing in the Canvas - I was hoping this might be solved ...

Radim

Return to posts index

Steve McGarrigle
on Nov 10, 2013 at 2:36:18 pm

What is this image tearing of which you speak?
I haven't experienced this. When did it start?

Return to posts index

Radim Palus
on Nov 11, 2013 at 12:26:09 pm

Hi Steve,

my English is very limited, so maybe I call it in a wrong way. Someone call it BANDING and it started with OSX 10.8. You can check this thread:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1166075#1166101

Radim

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Nov 14, 2013 at 7:31:09 am

Wow, I've been putting up with this for so long I forgot it was a problem. I started a thread about it once, referring to my issue as screen tearing. I experienced it the same time I upgraded my computer (which came with lion) and changed displays, using a 27" TBD. I thought it was the display and had some geniuses test it at the apple store but their display showed the same thing. I didn't know it had anything to do with an OS X upgrade.

Return to posts index

Callum O'Toole
on Nov 15, 2013 at 10:48:23 am

Hi guys,

It appears I'm the only one here who can't get FCP 6 to work with mavericks. I get the error message:

"Final Cut Pro cannot be opened because of a problem" (very helpful) and suggests I check with the developer to make sure Final Cut Pro works with this version of OS X. Seeing as you guys have managed to make it work I think we can be fairly confident it does.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Nov 15, 2013 at 5:44:49 pm

Personally, I'm waiting to finish a project before upgrading to Mavericks. But what was your upgrade process? Did you install Mavericks over ML or do a clean install? If the latter, I assume you then installed Rosetta from SL so that you could install FCS 2? If the former, maybe consider doing the latter… But I'd wait and see what others say...

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Aug 19, 2014 at 7:15:59 pm

For whatever it's worth, I can now add to this thread. I edit with a 2012 rMBP i7, 16 GBs. I didn't upgrade to FCP 7 so when X came out, have pretty much been stuck with FCP 6.0.6. I recently just upgraded from ML to Mavericks and then reinstalled FCS 2 from scratch. Of course to do this, you'll have to first install Rosetta if you have the SL disc on hand (I had to purchase it from Apple when it was still being offered). You'll then discover that the online updates only take you to FCP 6.0.5. I had done a TM backup so just copied over the newest updates so that I'm now back to 6.0.6.

I've noticed a slight loss in stability from Lion to Mavericks but it's fairly predictable, at least in my case. If I try to do too many undoes (command Z), the program will crash. So I am constantly Saving! Occasionally if do the 1 second scrubbing (shift/arrow key), especially backwards, the program will crash. And I'm sure there's other things I can't think of right now.

I was having issues with Motion 3 (or so I thought) and wanted to upgrade in hopes that that would solve the problem. That's why I needed to upgrade to Mavericks. But I gotta say, my rMBP is running a lot better on Mavericks than it was on ML! The scrolling lag is gone (or at least hugely improved). And I like the Finder tabs. So yes, there's a bit of trade off in upgrading to the newest OS with old software like FCP 6.0.6... but if you keep Saving your work, and can tolerate the occasional crash, you can still get the job done.

If I discover any other predictable issues, I'll report back.

Chris

Return to posts index

Daniel Schmidt
on Aug 20, 2014 at 12:32:34 pm

Hi Christopher,
can you share the 6.0.6 App? I cannot find the update ANYWHERE, so I seem to be stuck on 6.0.5 -_-

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]