FORUMS: list search recent posts

copying/moving? Final Cut 7 Suite to new iMac

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip Stillman
copying/moving? Final Cut 7 Suite to new iMac
on Oct 23, 2013 at 10:32:40 pm

I have FCP 7 on a older Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard. I just got a new iMac with Mountain Lion (tho I intend to upgrade to Mavericks shortly). I have been advised that the installer that came with FCP 7 will not work with Mountain Lion by Tom Wolsky - who I trust. He advised me to use Migration Assistant.
I tried migration assistant on another occasion and was not happy with its "global" nature. I was unable to choose which item(s) I wanted to copy. It changed things on the root directory (elements in hidden folders relating to FFMpeg-X, VLC, Mpeg-Stream Clip, X-11, etc. -- which I hopefully won't need on the new machine).
---- So, can anyone advise me how to copy FVP 7 & its app. support files (which I have the disks for as I am the registered purchaser & the eula states it can be installed on 2 machines) from an old Macbook Pro with OS 10.6 to a brand new IMac with OS 10.8.5 without having to use the "antiquated installer" that came with FCP 7? I also have FCP 7 on a Carbon Copy Cloner back up. I would prefer to do this manually, copying each file from each path be it hidden or not?? I think?
I will also be downloading FCP X shortly as well. Should I install FCP 7 into a subfolder named FCP Studio?
Whew I need to hone my writing skills, this post seems convoluted. Huh?
Thanks in advance to anyone wishing to tackle this.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: copying/moving? Final Cut 7 Suite to new iMac
on Oct 23, 2013 at 10:50:07 pm

[Philip Stillman] "I have been advised that the installer that came with FCP 7 will not work with Mountain Lion by Tom Wolsky - who I trust."

He is wrong. It works fine. FCP 6 doesn't...FCP 7...does. I've installed it twice on my own systems. Know several people who've done it on Mountain Lion. It's fully compatible.

[Philip Stillman] "He advised me to use Migration Assistant."

WHAT?!?!? Tom Wolsky adviced THAT??!! Wow...I learned a lot from that guy, and trusted him. But that is really REALLY bad advice. Migration Assistant NEVER gets it right. There are 2-3 posts a week where someone can't get FCP working right, and they used Migration Assistant to move it. It doesn't get all the bits and pieces that are installed throughout the SYSTEM and LIBRARY folders. NEVER do that...always install from the installer. The installer is FULLY compatible with Mountain Lion, and even the current Mavericks OS.

Tom...shame on you.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Philip Stillman
on Oct 24, 2013 at 12:23:30 am

Thanks Shane. I only hesitated using the Disks that include the "antiquated installer" because I read on other forums where this issue popped up on machines that never had previous OS versions installed. I also read that upon using the "antiquated installer" folks got prompted to install rosetta. In any event, thanks, Ive got the disks and serial # & will just proceed.
Tom is always the go to guy on all things Final Cut -- I taught it at a university and used his texts. He sent me an e-mail describing how he created a temporary user account on the new machine then used Migration assistant, copied all applications from Old HD to New IMac HD/temp user/Applications then copied just Final Cut Pro.app to Imac/HD/Applications/New Folder named Final Cut Studio ---then he deleted the "new user account" along with all the apps not wanted-- Whew! I just want to avoid clogging this lean & mean new machine with rosetta, ffmpegX libraries files, etc. Ya Follow?

Lastly, should I install FCP 7 into a subfolder in the application directory? Named?: Final Cut Studio? Or is it recommended here that if I am to install FCP X then I should create a separate partition?

I am starting to feel like I'm re-reading Green Eggs & Ham here, thanks again...

Return to posts index

Bill Dewald
on Oct 24, 2013 at 6:36:40 pm

I think you're over-complicating it. You don't need to do any tricks.

I've done a clean install of 10.8 and then installed FCS from the disks, no problem. Just be sure to run the FCS updates until no more are available.

FCS and FCPX should be able to coexist without any tricks. I've run FCS and Imovie at the same time, so...

Return to posts index

Philip Stillman
on Oct 25, 2013 at 2:46:30 am

I appreciate the help. I'll just follow Apple's basic recommendation about using a sub-folder and proceed with the disks. Then I'll test 'em. I'm in a great place as this machine is new & void of a "personality". Just an empty 1 TB SSD drive that is so fast I'm getting whiplash watching progress bars.
I can do a clean re-install - if need be - w/o any worries.
I appreciate the help...
- a votre sante hombres...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]