FORUMS: list search recent posts

Delivering Final Project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dennis Cummins
Delivering Final Project
on Oct 23, 2013 at 5:15:48 pm

Hi. I posted a similar post last week about getting footage to a client. However this is a bit different. I finished editing a project for a client, talking head interview about 10 mins long. They want if for their website. What's the best format to send it to them? It was edited in fcp7. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Delivering Final Project
on Oct 23, 2013 at 6:09:02 pm

H.264, LAN streaming. THere's a preset in Compressor for this.

But really...ASK THEM. Or their IT person...the person who handles the web site. Ask what they want, what will work. We have no clue. Well, some clue, but they know best.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 23, 2013 at 6:35:03 pm

H.264 or MPEG 4 are safe default choices when you just don;t know what they want, but even saying those names doesn't give you truly sufficient detail.

Shane, you'd THINK they would know... but my experience has been that many clients have rather poor relationships to their IT and web staff, and thus have no freaking idea what delivery formats are appropriate.

There could be any number of reasons for that lack of understanding, and it doesn't matter here. But while I agree with you that you should always ask clients this, be prepared to have to contact their web staff direct anyhow, because too many clients just lack the technical vocabulary for the conversation, and if you ask them to be the intermediary in a three-way tech conversation with their internal web people... well, you still may not get a usable answer. " They said to tell you to give us a quicktime and it will be fine".

=:-0

The client often plain doesn't care about codecs. And, actually quite rightly, they shouldn't have to know or care how that gets done, as long as they get their desired result. That's what they pay us (and their web staff) for. The old saying still applies: "Don't tell me how to build a clock, just tell me what time it is".

Instead of just asking the client for the codec parameters, I would say, ask for the email or phone of their web staff and get it from the horse's mouth.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 23, 2013 at 6:40:00 pm

You are right, Mark, and I remember this topic in the BIZ forum. How to prep dozens of formats, for various needs.

Compress to YouTUbe or Vimeo standards, both are H.264, and you will be safe. Media Encoder from Adobe is best at this, to be honest.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Scott Barker
on Oct 23, 2013 at 6:11:11 pm

are they uploading it to their site on their own? With their own hosting and player? Or are they using VIMEO or YOUTUBE or something similar? Also is the footage HD?

If YOUTUBE or VIMEO, I'd just use the preset in compressor/quicktime. If it's their own hosting, an H.264 compressed down to 1280x720 with a bit rate of around 10,000kbs (lower is probably best) should be fine.

From Final Cut Export a full res movie

File>Export>QuicktimeMovie...

Then drag that Quicktime into Compressor and drop on the settings.

Return to posts index

Dennis Cummins
on Oct 23, 2013 at 6:55:00 pm

Thanks lads. Scott, they will host in themselves so I'm just going to send it to them via wetransfer as they are based in Italy and I'm in Ireland. I asked their IT dept and they hadn't got a clue.

Return to posts index

Ivan Myles
on Oct 23, 2013 at 11:33:23 pm

[Dennis Cummins] "I asked their IT dept and they hadn't got a clue."

It may take a few iterations before everything is up and running. If playback is choppy try encoding with a lower bitrate, lower Profile, and/or lower Level.

Here are some guidelines for H.264 video data rate in bits per pixel (and kbps for 1280x720-30p footage):

YouTube: 0.07 bpp (~1900 kbps)
Apple: 0.125 bpp (~3400 kbps)
Upper limit for streaming (arbitrary): ~0.20 bpp (5400 kbps)
High quality download/local playback: 0.35-0.40 bpp (~9500-10800 kbps)
DVD/BD: 0.60-0.70 bpp (~16-19 kbps)

I don't recommend going below the YouTube rate unless the video has very little motion.

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Oct 25, 2013 at 11:56:31 am

I would deliver two files:
one flv 480x270 (16:9)
one H264/mpeg4 480x270 (16:9)

If you want it a bit larger than 720x405 (depends on how big the file will be - length of video)
Always use the original frame rate!

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved