FORUMS: list search recent posts

Files will only connect to the initial hard drive - "Unspecified Path" if I move them and reconnect (FCP7)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Einar Bjarni Davíðsson
Files will only connect to the initial hard drive - "Unspecified Path" if I move them and reconnect (FCP7)
on Oct 22, 2013 at 11:51:48 pm

I am logging and syncing the footage/audio for a feature film in Final Cut Pro 7. I am done with about 26 days of shooting, out of 32. I was also the Data Wrangler on set, so I was logging/syncing on a laptop+external HDD while on set, then moved the (proxy) files to the internal drives on my Mac Pro at home.

This never caused problems for the first month of shooting: I would store my Project file in the cloud, open it at home and everything would reconnect with a few clicks once I directed Final Cut Pro to the new file directory onboard my desktop computer.

Now however, the last 5-7 days of shooting I've logged, will not reconnect on my Mac Pro, or on any other (external) hard drive, except for the one I initially worked from. If I connect that initial drive to the mac pro, everything links up fine, but FCP simply will not "see" the files on another drive, saying that I have some 750 files missing (no list of them) with an "Unspecified Path".

It seems to me that it is mostly, possibly only, the audio that won't reconnect (everything is synced with the slate via in/out points, as the camera would not jam timecode properly).

Do any of you have experience with this? Any solutions? Is there perhaps some way to reaffirm the path/file names (make Final Cut "relearn" them) before I try to move from one drive to the other?

Any help much appreciated, as this is literally tens of hours of tedious work down the drain, not to mention I have the director and editor breathing down my neck to get the stuff.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: Files will only connect to the initial hard drive - "Unspecified Path" if I move them and reconnect (FCP7)
on Oct 23, 2013 at 1:36:20 am

is there something different about the latest batch of files?
some metadata issue?

other than that, you could use the MEDIA MANAGER to copy the files from one drive to another, creating a new project as you go.

still, it sounds like there is something fishy going on you'd want to get to the bottom of

nick

Return to posts index

Einar Bjarni Davíðsson
Re: Files will only connect to the initial hard drive - "Unspecified Path" if I move them and reconnect (FCP7)
on Oct 23, 2013 at 2:16:55 am

Yup, just thought of trying the Media Manager as soon as I posted - will know in 5 hours if that works... If it does, hopefully that new project will relink to different drives. Not really a solution if it doesn't.

Fingers crossed, but not very optimistic, as googling and forum-searching seems to indicate that "unspecified path" message is pretty much a death sentence (though few of the people who reported it had the luxury of access to both a working, linked drive-setup, and the broken, derived one, so maybe...).

There is nothing that I can spot in the meta data, but haven't looked thoroughly. Will check that out in the morning if the Media Manager is a bust.

Thanks for the response, Nick.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]