FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quicktime Files will not Open from Foreign Country

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Monskey
Quicktime Files will not Open from Foreign Country
on Oct 22, 2013 at 9:18:51 pm

I have received QT files from an associate in Germany for a project (I suspect they were shot in PAL 25fps) and received them via Internet download (14.8 GB, MPEG-2 Video, MPEG Layer 2 format, 1440 x 1080 the file info says). I have tried opening them in QT and it says "The movie .... can't be opened. You may need additional software to open this type of file."
I have tried importing it into a FCP 7.0.3 project and an error message comes up.
I am using a Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 2.8 GHz dual processor desktop computer with OS X (10.6.8)
The file name is GC_Clip_2.mpg

Any suggestions?
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Quicktime Files will not Open from Foreign Country
on Oct 22, 2013 at 9:41:59 pm

You can't use mpeg's in FCP. Use MPEG Streamclip (FREE) to turn it into a proper codec for FCP. ProRes 422 is best.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Daniel Monskey
on Oct 22, 2013 at 10:03:02 pm

Thanks. This MPEG Streamclip program process isn't working either. I dragged & dropped the file into the MPEG Streamclip box and got an error message "File open error: unsupported file type" (open anyway) (OK) options. I hit open anyway and I saw nothing that appeared to be processing, except when I first started a box came up saying timecode breaks have been detected. Do you want to fix? I said yes. THen a message opened saying no beginning timecode detected and the whole process seemed to stop---the rolling sunburst on the side disappeared. Then the program was sluggish beyond that time too. I have now done this process 2 times and got the same result.
Any other ideas from here?
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 22, 2013 at 10:50:43 pm

Yes...have them encode to a different format. This one isn't working.

You can also try to install PERIAN (perian.org) and see if that helps. If not...the option 1 is my advice.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Daniel Monskey
on Oct 23, 2013 at 2:35:07 am

Thanks everyone for your help. It will help me from banging my head unnecessarily against the wall in frustration, when it has to be taken care of at the other end.
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

Daniel Monskey
on Oct 23, 2013 at 8:17:27 am

I tried a PC for downloading the file and then opening it with a PC program. Windows Media Player plays the video fine.
What can I do, now that I have the video in a working form state-side, to convert it or import it into FCP to begin the editing process with the file? It is 28 minutes long and 13.7 GB.
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Oct 23, 2013 at 2:18:38 pm

the best transcoding program is Episode,
worth every cent,

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth