FORUMS: list search recent posts

Who wants to be a hero and try FCP7 with Mavericks?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al LeVine
Who wants to be a hero and try FCP7 with Mavericks?
on Oct 22, 2013 at 7:30:16 pm

I've been using FCP 7 with 10.8 for over a year, no problems.
Anybody want to be a maverick and give FCP 7 a try with 10.9 Final and report the results?

(I know it was working okay with early betas)

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
Re: Who wants to be a hero and try FCP7 with Mavericks?
on Oct 22, 2013 at 7:47:23 pm

I don't want to be the hero. FCP works best with snow leopard and lion.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 22, 2013 at 8:10:24 pm

Why? Why upgrade to Mavericks? What do you have to gain? If you rely on your computer to earn a living, I would highly recommend NOT upgrading...stick to the OS that works.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Al LeVine
on Oct 22, 2013 at 8:13:54 pm

I work in animation, so we deal with thousands and thousands of shots in various stages of production on multiple episodes.
In OS X Mountain Lion they introduced smart folders, which helped our workflow immensely.
The idea of tags in 10.9 takes this organization a huge leap forward.

(I know FCP X has these things sort of built in, but using our currently workflow Premiere or FCP 7 are the only options).

Edit: Because all animation is in house, we use servers and the Finder via an XSAN to do most of our organization, on top of an online content management system.

Return to posts index

Charles Breiner
on Oct 22, 2013 at 10:13:41 pm

I'm with my buddy Al.
If for no other reason than curiosity. We have kind of gotten away with FCP7 for a few years beyond what I would expect Apple to support, but inevitably they're going to force the issue, intentionally or otherwise. Giving away Mavericks points toward the "we expect everyone to be on the latest system, period." But I could be wrong. I bet we'll be fine on this release but trouble has to be on the horizon.

-Chuck

Return to posts index

Christopher S. Johnson
on Oct 23, 2013 at 3:10:02 am

Shane, because it's *interesting*. I like the idea of tabbed windows, file tagging, and energy efficiency while unplugged (I use a souped up MBP 2012 as primary machine after some of your past recommendations). I might shoot a question back at you. Why be against somebody trying? It could be roses. It's been roses for me combining FCP 7 and Mountain Lion, along with AJA ioXT.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Oct 22, 2013 at 10:46:33 pm

Admittedly, I did not read the Apple Developer NDA thoroughly, anyone know if it is OK to discuss the Mavericks Developer Preview now that its gone public?

I'm still waiting on the public release to download...

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Oct 23, 2013 at 12:11:04 am

I'd love go hear peoples experinces here as well. Bit the bullet and upgraded my home system to 10.9 but I don't have FCP7 there.

Return to posts index

Christopher S. Johnson
on Oct 23, 2013 at 3:12:09 am

I would also like to hear a report. Could be fun.

Return to posts index

Chris Feldmann
on Oct 23, 2013 at 5:21:27 am

Howdy, I can confirm that I have gotten it to open, haven't done much past that though as I do not have any active video projects, but I was able to successfully open all of the FCP Studio suite applications. HOWEVER it did scare me at first saying that it was unsupported and should attempt a reinstall then contact apple (which I knew would be no good). After just simply deleting the programs from the applications folder and then running the installer on JUST the applications, they booted up just fine. took 10 minutes tops to test it out. Again not sure about plugins and such but I'd be willing to bet your okay.

ALSO mind App Nap, turn that off for apps you'll use in the background while they are hidden or on a different space. To do that "command i" on the application in the folder and then check off "Prevent App Nap" that way, next time you run the program (yes you have to quit and reopen the application) it'll render without slowing down in the background due to the new resource management introduced in Mavericks, this goes for EVERY program you render things in that you put in the background often with. App Nap is great but it can also catch you off guard when you have it out of sight and all of a sudden you wake up in the morning and your render isn't finished.

Return to posts index

Al LeVine
on Oct 23, 2013 at 5:58:03 am

It's actually working okay for me too (installed it on a non-work machine), no problems opening projects at all. Still seems speedy.

Only new issue is the new fullscreen mode. If you set your external video to the 2nd display, it will still show a top menu bar above the picture. Seems a lot of people are having issues with this in general in various apps.

Return to posts index

Brent Chaney
on Oct 23, 2013 at 4:46:03 pm

SO YOU had no problem with final cut pro 7 on mavericks?

Return to posts index

Steve Walker
on Oct 23, 2013 at 11:41:08 am

No probs here on my 2009 Macbook Pro. FCS3, Adobe CS5, Davinci Resolve 9 and Logic Audio 9 all working.

Return to posts index

Juan Manuel
on Oct 23, 2013 at 1:00:06 pm

Is DVDSP working fine as well?

Return to posts index

Steve Walker
on Oct 23, 2013 at 5:36:55 pm

DVD Studio Pro working as normal.

Steve Walker
BBC Senior Tech Op. Editor/Sound Mixer
FCP-Quantel-Avid

Return to posts index

Pato Rojas
on Oct 23, 2013 at 9:16:24 pm

but you had to re install final cut 7 ? what about cinema 4d?

Return to posts index

Juan Manuel
on Oct 24, 2013 at 5:44:44 pm

Qmaster doesn't seem to work. It can't be accessed from the system preferences pane and Compressor 3 can't encode through it.

Return to posts index

Al LeVine
on Oct 24, 2013 at 5:48:05 pm

Qmaster was working for me... i'll give it another try though. What error were you getting?

Return to posts index

Juan Manuel
on Oct 24, 2013 at 7:18:44 pm

[Al LeVine] " Qmaster was working for me... i'll give it another try though. What error were you getting?"

Well, my system is in Spanish, so it's

Error en las preferencias

No se ha podido cargar el panel de preferencias Apple Qmaster.

Which should translate to

Preference error

Apple Qmaster's preference panel couldn't be loaded

Which isn't likely the exact way it's described in English. Maybe it's something with the preferences and there is a way to work it out, trashing something? I'll have to check that.

Return to posts index

Al LeVine
on Oct 25, 2013 at 7:23:47 am

I'm getting the same error actually.

Return to posts index

mario toni belamaric
on Oct 25, 2013 at 12:54:20 pm

I installed mine on my MB (just in case) and I can confirm it works normally!

Return to posts index

Daniel E
on Nov 1, 2013 at 5:10:33 pm

My laptop is having the same issue with QMaster preference panel. Trying a render in Compressor with the still listed cluster. Taking a long time to get started but no errors yet. No progress either. After about 20 minutes the rendering is working so patience is being rewarded. It is a long movie. Probably would start faster with just using a single processor but not as much fun.
. I haven't found any other gotchas yet with FCP 7 but it is just the computer with know external video etc. So far projects open and play back. Holding off upgrading my Mac Pro which has a Black Magic card etc.

Daniel Epstein
Gold Teleproductions, Inc
New York, NY
http://www.goldtele.com

Return to posts index

Jj Cohoon
on Oct 25, 2013 at 7:36:20 pm

FCP 7 and Compressor (without qmaster) are working fine for me. Haven't tried DVDSP yet. Didn't have to reinstall anything. Haven't done a ton with FCP yet but projects opened and I was able to do some basic editing. I'll update if I run into any trouble

Return to posts index

Phil Kurus
on Oct 27, 2013 at 11:45:55 pm

Hmm. QMaster pref pane also refuses to open.

Activity Monitor reports:

CompressorJobController not responding

QmasterCC not responding

Fortunately both are using 0 CPU.

Unfortunately, the rest of the above.

Anyone know what might be going on?

FCP itself appears to work fine.

MBP Mid-2012

Cheers.

Return to posts index

Jj Cohoon
on Oct 28, 2013 at 6:28:04 pm

Today I ran into problems after I ejected the render drive and started FCP. FCP reported not being able to find the drive like normal so I chose 'quit' and plugged the drive back in. At this point FCP crashed on load, citing a thread containing qmaster. I tried reopening a couple times, restarted and did the same to no avail. Compressor failed to load as well. I eventually backed up my Compressor settings folder from ~/Library/Application Support/ and then ran Compressor Repair from Digital Rebellion (http://www.digitalrebellion.com/compressorrepair/) which finally got FCP running again. Hopefully this isn't something I'll have to do regularly.

Return to posts index

Ignacio Recondo
on Oct 28, 2013 at 10:50:49 pm

So I have an iMac that I bought this year with FCP7 and Blackmagic ultra studio 3D.
I did the upgrade today and everything seems normal until I played the video on one of my projects.
Whats happening is that the image play normally but the Audio has a 2 second delay.... :(
not sure were that came from or how to fix it. I restarted,
trashed the preferences and looked around to try to figure out whats causing it but at this point I have no Idea.
If anyone has a pointer on how to fix this It would be AMAZING!!!

Cheers,

Nano :)

Return to posts index

Levy Fioriti
on Oct 29, 2013 at 5:51:33 pm

I'm with the same 2s delay..

Return to posts index

Al LeVine
on Oct 29, 2013 at 6:18:16 pm

Is this with the blackmagic or without?

What happens when you change External Video to off?

Have you played with frame offset in System Settings?

Return to posts index

Levy Fioriti
on Oct 29, 2013 at 6:35:55 pm

I have a blackmagic decklink HD Exreme..

Acctualy I'm just using it to monitor audio output..

Video Playback is set to none, and Video Output, off.

Audio playback - blackmagic audio.

It's not 2 seconds, but about 28, 29 frames. Happens sometimes (almost all)..

The audio scrubbing scrubbs after these 28,29 frames too..

thsnks

Return to posts index

Al LeVine
on Oct 29, 2013 at 7:03:34 pm

What happens when you monitor through your mac instead? Does the sync work?
Sounds more like a problem with Black Magic's driver.

Return to posts index

Levy Fioriti
on Oct 29, 2013 at 7:12:04 pm

thanks, man!!
Unfortunately it seems to be a black magic's problem, but they still din't know how to fix it..
in the blackmagic design forum has a lot of people with the same problem..

well, thanks anyway..!

Return to posts index

Ignacio Recondo
on Oct 29, 2013 at 10:34:38 pm

Im trying to go Back to 10.8 in the meantime until BlackMagic fixes their glitches :(
Its painful, would not recommend the update if you have to monitor for clients.

Levy Fioriti, do you haver the link to that forum so I can keep an eye for when a fix comes along?

Thank you

Nano Recono

Return to posts index

Levy Fioriti
on Oct 30, 2013 at 4:07:19 pm

yep, the link is:

http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14305

at blackmagic home page, there's a link to a Mavericks' support, don't download it!

Now my FCP crashes, can't edit..

Return to posts index

Danny Stricker
on Oct 31, 2013 at 10:36:53 am

So I updated my MacBook Pro8,3 to 10.9 Mavericks. FCP 7 seemed fine. Until I had to capture video from my AJA IoHD. Just like the blackmagic the video and audio sync was off by 29 frames. I went to AJA and the IoHD has been discontinued as of the release of OS X 10.9

Looks like I need to go back to Mountain Lion.

Return to posts index

Ignacio Recondo
on Oct 31, 2013 at 9:46:39 pm

Thank you Levi!

I went back to 10.8 and everything works fine again. Im not Upgrading no more :)

Nano Recono

Return to posts index

Maurice Spees
on May 16, 2014 at 9:29:26 am

Never change a winning team!

That's all. I am still on 10.7.5 and everything works just fine...

Moving Films - The power of vivid expressions

Return to posts index

Tan Ansell
on May 21, 2014 at 7:06:22 am

Hi,

This is a long due post... but for what it's worth:

I encountered the same audio delay problem, so I downloaded Black Magic Desktop 10.10, which fixed the delay but caused very frequent crashes in FCP 7 (OS Mavericks).

I looked around for solutions and came across a maintenance software from Digital Rebellion that helps manage plugins. I used the Plugin Manager to disable the Black Magic Plugin, and FCP started working well without no crashing and audio sync problems.

Kind of a weird solution, but worked for me. I only use Black Magic driver to divert audio playback to a mixer then to my speakers.

Anyone with similar experiences?

Ansell

Return to posts index

JD Marlow
on Oct 8, 2014 at 8:58:12 pm

Strange -- I'm on 10.9.5 Mavericks and also have Desktop Video 10.1.1 drivers installed for my Blackmagic Intensity Pro card. All is well so far. Haven't cut a full new project on this system yet, but have done minor edits and many exports. All seems well so far (knocking on wood).

It's for this reason I keep a dual boot with 10.7.5 hanging around. I held on to a copy of Leopard 10.5 until just last week!!

JD Marlow
jd@jdmarlow.com
http://www.jdmarlow.com

Return to posts index

joel silverman
on Dec 29, 2014 at 11:50:55 pm

OK... I have been having some huge problems with FCP 7 and Mavericks. We have a TV series we have been editing perfectly for the past 2 years. I (for some stupid reason) decided to upgrade from my Snow Leopard which was just fine to Mavericks. Since I did that one of our files which is large, gives us the "out of memory" error, and crashes always when rendering. I have sent the hard drive and the computer to some local people here in Reno that know Macs and FCP with no answers. At this point I am ready to downgrade back to Snow Leopard. Does anyone else have this issue?

Return to posts index

Robin Hamilton
on Sep 10, 2015 at 7:46:54 pm

Much later post in response to Joel who had problems with FCP 7 and was reconsidering downgrading back to Snow Leopard.
Two Questions:
Q 1 Joel, did you resolve,downgrade, run dual systems?
Good to hear that many have been okay with FCP 7. Thanks for all the info.

I have kept running 10.6.8 for its stability and compatibility with FCP 7 on an 2011 IMAC.

I am considering a dual system, either partitioning the hard drive, or using a firewire drive.
Q 2 Anyone tried running a partitioned or dual system? EG FCP 7 from a Firewire startup that has 10.6.8, but running Yosemite or El Capitan from the IMAC's internal drive? Or other variations?

I would stay on FCP 7 (following the 'if it ain't broke, rule, articulated by the inimitable Shane Ross above) but I would like Creative COw, and native h264 editing from Premiere Pro, and Photoshop, and that means, I believe, upgrading my OS.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]